Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

mydriase OP t1_jbaz7ui wrote

I made that map with ice sheets / glaciers extent data from the University of Cologne, I got the lakes on Canada.ca and many other shapefiles (borders mostly) from divagis.org

I got the information from the encyclopedia britannica and I read a couple of research papers.

I used QGIS for the basemap layer and Adobe Illustrator for everything else

Feedback welcome !

If you like maps, I have many more on my website :)

cheers !

venerable4bede t1_jbbi8lw wrote

Small typo, you wrote “hoping” when I think you meant “hopping” but it’s cool

RunninglikeNaruto t1_jbd5l4h wrote

This is such a good poster!!!!! I made my first academic poster not long ago and it was good, but this is phenomenal

Beatnikdan t1_jbcdpg8 wrote

You might make an adjustment to your map.

The Puget Lobe of the Cordilleran Ice sheet stretched at least as far as south as Olympia. It carved out the Puget sound and was estimated to be 3000 feet thick in Seattle.

Ambitious-Event-5911 t1_jbdmx3v wrote

This. And it extended farther South almost to Spokane. An ice dam formed where the Clark Fork empties into Lake Pend Orellie, forming glacial Lake Missoula, and leading to epic flossing during the thaw.

Tenbroekmj t1_jbc9wyz wrote

Can you do the same for the ice sheets over Europe and Asia?

diemos09 t1_jbbdpp9 wrote

Wish I new what the thin blue line is that crosses from Seattle to Maryland.

SensorAmmonia t1_jbbgkvv wrote

North of that line the climate was more than 12 degrees colder than today forcing settlers to move south.

gael12334 t1_jbc7uq3 wrote

"Laurentides ice sheet" tbrnk pensais pas que les laurentides allaient aussi loin que ça

onegunzo t1_jbc8ik3 wrote

Just looks like every winter to me :)

Thanks for doing this.

one_salty_cookie t1_jbcc96k wrote

Dang, that must have been better than what we have now...

srv50 t1_jbch32z wrote

New England skiing musta been awesome!

bappleky t1_jbcjgjt wrote

You are a fantastic cartographer!!

TinKicker t1_jbcrnm1 wrote

So I’ve been hiking all over Manitoulin Island in Ontario for pretty much my entire life. (It’s in northern Lake Huron).

Even if you’re well off any trails, you never need a compass. The glaciers pushed down from the north, and left deep gouges in the exposed rock as they pushed south.

Just look for the gouges in the exposed fossilized coral reefs. They’re all north/south. The entire island is a compass.

LGZee t1_jbd4dzw wrote

Canadians be living even closer to the US

ltethe t1_jbfj6o1 wrote

I would love to plumb the 18,000 BC shoreline for settlements.

Crembrelay t1_jbd3on8 wrote

Man, America must have been so pristine and beautiful back them. Especially places like Oregon, California and Washington before western settlements… not that it isn’t today, (ill spare you the 21st century dread.) it was just pure untouched natural glory.