Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

thearchiguy t1_iu5l1rw wrote

Washington = Evergreen State. Checks out ✅

R_V_Z t1_iu673hg wrote

The pre-1967 flag is better, IMO. It's a richer emerald green with gold letters and borders over the white circle of the seal.

jboarei t1_iu7me81 wrote

I want the combination of both. Newer portrait with the old emerald/gold.

Indiana_Charter t1_iu5gue1 wrote

Most US state flags involve blue and red, but this map suggests that southern states are more likely to have more red, while northern states are more likely to have more blue.

Khanahar t1_iu6lfar wrote

That’s the aesthetic legacy of the confederacy, I’m afraid.

_OriamRiniDadelos_ t1_iu7lngm wrote

And it’s not even a tradition left over from the war. A bunch of those southern states only added confederate symbols decades after the war, when they where cracking down on freedom. “Lost cause” movement I think it’s called

MulesAreSoHalfAss t1_iu7mgj1 wrote

I don't want to well actually....

but actually most of the northern states are the ugly crest on a blue background and have little to no red

comatose-buddha t1_iu8biq0 wrote

I’m not from the US, but do listen to the blues quite a bit…doesn’t that have more of a southern origin?

Bwustin t1_iu8mk2g wrote

Hahaha this made my day bro. What the comment is originally referring to is blue states or “left wing/progressive” while red states are “right wing/conservative”. And most southern states are conservative while most northern states are progressive or liberal. The blues music refers to something else entirely but is from the south, you are correct.

mrsprinkles565 t1_iu6l8sv wrote

New Mexico is like “Fuck your shades of blue and red!”

_OriamRiniDadelos_ t1_iu7lzdw wrote

And good for them, it’s the nicest one by far. Alaska and South Carolina are yo there too, but definitely second place.

TXOgre09 t1_iu8yf2q wrote

Texas, Colorado, and California have nice state flags too.

Half the states phone it in and put their state seal on a plain blue flag.

InsuranceToTheRescue t1_iu51erz wrote

Now if only we could get a metric of how much of a dumpster fire each state flag is. Nebraska's state capital flew theirs upside down for like 10 days before anyone noticed.

jnemesh t1_iu6qjww wrote

Fun fact, you could fly New Mexico's flag upside down, and no one would ever notice!

R_Harry_P t1_iu7ruxi wrote

Approximately half of New Mexico state flags are being hung upside down at any given time.

Truckerontherun t1_iu8z5ls wrote

Look up Huggbee on YouTube. He does a very good and funny critique of state flags. His roasting of Maryland's flag is especially funny

Forever_Overthinking t1_iu54bdu wrote

The reason so many states look purple-ish is because their flags are a combo of red and blue.

Reretox t1_iu6h71s wrote

It really goes to show how averages in stats should be taken with a pinch of salt.

muchadoaboutme t1_iu7fhqm wrote

Really confused how Maryland’s red, yellow, black, and white flag ended up purple…

EDIT: I may be colorblind because after zooming in that is in fact brown. Which still raises a question, but a different one.

paper_monkey t1_iu5i1j7 wrote

Is this rgb linear or geometrical average? Color seems off.

nemom t1_iu4wkku wrote

So, Isle Royale and the Keweenaw Peninsula have become the New Zealand of maps of the US?

Kenilwort t1_iu503ev wrote

I mean there are other islands missing if you want to get technical but the disappearance of the Keweenaw is concerning.

KingTemplar t1_iu6smwn wrote

Kentucky and Pennsylvania killing it with the average flag color

greymon90210 t1_iu6ue5a wrote

Illinois’ is white because we surrender. We can’t keep living in the state anymore, we give up. 🏳

G_Peccary t1_iu6zf6u wrote

So the pinkest state flag is Arkansas. I always knew the Ozarks were a hotbed for communists.

musememo t1_iu7mntq wrote

Massachusetts . . . always going it’s own way :)

milochuisael t1_iu7yjl8 wrote

Pfft always copying California

musememo t1_iuar3gn wrote

Going its own way in relation to the rest of New England . . . ayuh.

NP59 t1_iu8tjua wrote

The state flag of MA is likely to change in the near future. It depicts an Native American with an arm holding a sword above him. Some authority voted earlier this year to replace it.

Truckerontherun t1_iu8yu7d wrote

I would think Alabama and Florida would need to have a much lighter shade, almost white

RealBenWoodruff t1_iu9hmtp wrote

High percentage of Alabama is white but the St Andrew's cross is crimson so I don't know how pink that makes to be honest.

Alabama has to be the easiest for a child to draw from memory.

sandleaz t1_iu7b71p wrote

There are a lot of blue flags out there.

AlltheCopics t1_iu7xoma wrote

Who would have guessed that it's brown for Germany lmao

#963e00 (to be as precise as possible)

CSDragon t1_iu9rfcj wrote

many state flags are the state seal on a blue background, so not surprised

puppies_and_unicorns t1_iu5s2n8 wrote

Uhh half of the AZ state flag is blue. A portion has orange, if we don't want to call that brown.

Duderpher t1_iu7nv7p wrote

How is any flag white? If there is any color it wouldn’t be white. I’m calling bullshit.

cripdrip t1_iu6rrlk wrote

Arizona. Arguably the best state flag letting its true color shine through.

−1