Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Jammintoad t1_itndb7n wrote

I agree with u but damn bro u ok?

−6

undefined7196 t1_itne9jj wrote

Um… yeah. This was tame in comparison to what could be said about faith.

−11

Business_Falcon7941 t1_itq0kv1 wrote

Let people believe in what they want.

undefined7196 t1_itq0qm5 wrote

No, beliefs do not exist in a vacuum. First you believe in magic, then you are taking away reproductive rights for all women in America. You believe silly shit, you do silly shit.

Business_Falcon7941 t1_itq4o8f wrote

Slippery slope fallacy, okay guy

undefined7196 t1_itq6ycp wrote

That is not how the slippery slope fallacy works. People who believe in magic DID take away reproductive rights for all women in America because they believe in magic. It is not a hypothetical, it actually fucking happened. Slippery slope requires hypothetical, which I am not doing.

Business_Falcon7941 t1_itq7dy5 wrote

Calling religious belief magic is reductive and untrue. People who are religious have done tons if things, including the original Roe ruling.

undefined7196 t1_itq7lb0 wrote

If it wasnt magic, it would be science. It is not science, because it is magic. Believing in angels and god, is magic

Business_Falcon7941 t1_itq9g4k wrote

Sure, you can have that opinion.

undefined7196 t1_itqaeg9 wrote

If you do not think resurrection, turning water into wine, walking on water, parting a sea, casting demons into sheep, healing blind people, and all other "miracles" are not magic, then you being intentionally dishonest. It is magic.

Business_Falcon7941 t1_itqaq0i wrote

I think it's incredibly reductive. I also think you're associating all religion with the Christian mythos.

undefined7196 t1_itqaxdo wrote

They all have their own equally magical mythos. And there is nothing wrong with being reductive. Either way it is believing in unfounded nonsense that goes against reality.

Business_Falcon7941 t1_itqbhs5 wrote

The whole point of faith is that it can't be objectively proven. I'm an atheist myself who is outraged by the decision against Roe, so I understand at least in part why you feel the way you do.

Nonetheless it irks me when people go hard against religion and mock it and people who follow it. Let people believe what they want to believe. The actions of overzealous American Christians is not an indictment on all religions everywhere. Let people bask in the comfort and assuredness religion brings them. Attacking it and calling it magic is hateful and unnecessary.

undefined7196 t1_itqbwgj wrote

I disagree. Fuck all magical thinking. It is dangerous and is poison to the mind.

Business_Falcon7941 t1_itqc0tc wrote

It helps a lot of people. It isn't poison to every mind and blanket statements are almost never correct.