Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

UnadvertisedAndroid t1_iy4qiyg wrote

Is Canada really the only eliminated team so far?

11160704 t1_iy4r2xm wrote

Also Qatar but it's too small to see.

droplivefred t1_iy5jswk wrote

Qatar is so irrelevant it’s not funny. Also hilarious how a recent host (Russia) is already suspended. Lol!

SirNukeSquad t1_iy71bso wrote

Qatar is the current Asian Cup title holder though...

wagymaniac t1_iy9h81e wrote

And Qatar spend a shittone of money bringing football expertise from big European clubs, my roommate who was winning the minimum wage as a junior trainer in Barcelona Football Club ended there with just one year of experience.

No-Jellyfish-876 t1_iy7uspl wrote

But not Israel, this world fucking sucks and is filled with hypocrites

−5

-Aureus- t1_iy8isq6 wrote

>But not Israel, this world fucking sucks and is filled with hypocrites

Funny how you went to Israel, not Myanmar, China and Iran, or North fucking Korea.

XenonBG t1_iy5mmfh wrote

There's nothing funny about that mate.

−48

Just_Replacement3989 t1_iy60ef3 wrote

If we don't laugh at our own disgrace, we will never taste life

XenonBG t1_iy776y0 wrote

I had the reason behind the suspension in mind, but I guess that didn't come across as so.

−3

TheKingMonkey t1_iy4rpzj wrote

Qatar too, but Canada have been decent. The two teams they have played so far were Belgium (officially ranked 2nd in the World, semi finalists at the last World Cup) and Croatia (finalists at last World Cup) so it’s been a baptism of fire to say the least. They probably should have beaten Belgium and they gave Croatia a run for their money for an hour. They’ve given more to the tournament than some of the sides that will progress to the knockout stages and given the age of the squad they are in a good spot ahead of hosting in 2026.

KageRaken t1_iy5yjci wrote

The one and only reason they didn't beat Belgium is our goalkeeper. The guy is a legend. Canada deserved to win.

Crazed_Hatter t1_iy61kq3 wrote

Also the refs 😒 there was probably 1 more penalty that should've been called but im proud of how the canadian team played ^-^

SirNukeSquad t1_iy71fdk wrote

What does one more penalty do if you miss them anyways. The gall to make the refs responsible lol.

−4

Kasekubrick t1_iy6yeje wrote

What teams that have qualified, gave Canada given more to the tournament than??

This has been a really good world cup, a lot of minnows have qualified/will qualify, so I am interested to hear who you dont think deserves it.

−1

TheKingMonkey t1_iy7cjxn wrote

I didn’t say anybody doesn’t deserve it, those are your words not mine.

However to answer the question there are a lot of sides that will just drift through without providing much in the way of memorable moments which Canada have done so far.

Obviously a lot of this is about expectations going into the tournaments, the Canadians have been able to throw everything at the group stages whereas other countries will have come in a week after their domestic season ended and will be expecting to play 4/5/6/7 games in a month so will have to manage their energy more rationally but the overall point remains the same as my first post in this thread, if there’s an implication that Canada somehow failed because they got eliminated after two games then the people who think that should look closer. Canada have performed very well against top tier opposition and will go home with their heads held high.

Kasekubrick t1_iy7ewdk wrote

The memorable moments you speak of, are only memorable to very few, though. A team that has scored 1 goal, and given up 5, is not going to be remembered in the way that you think they are. I get you are Canadian so it means more to you, but tge vast majority of people do not care about Canada’s world cup run. They created a lot of chances against a Belgium that is clearly not very good and may not qualify, while also getting manhandled by Croatia.

Canada has not given more to this World Cup than any of the teams currently positioned to qualify. Countries like Ecuador, Iran, Ghana, Morocco etc have absolutely provided more to this cup than Canada. Should they leave with their heads held high? Of course. Will the World Cup miss their presence? Absolutely not.

−2

Dixyplayer t1_iy5sw9g wrote

We got eliminated "call an ambulance" style

UnadvertisedAndroid t1_iy5uina wrote

Sorry to hear it, I heard you guys put up a hell of a fight in both matches, tho.

laurentmolter OP t1_iy4qx7h wrote

Qatar as well, also it's more complicated to see it on the map (you can zoom in on the website)

CandidGuidance t1_iy6p49b wrote

As a Canadian , I didn’t even know we were in the World Cup. Very little promo here. Shocked we even made it lol

Col_Leslie_Hapablap t1_iy84iw0 wrote

If you didn’t know Canada was in the World Cup, you must consume absolutely zero mainstream media; it’s been in the news for weeks, and every sports channel has been blasting it.

CandidGuidance t1_iy8n0lh wrote

You know this comment has made me reflect that I really don’t lol. I don’t have cable and generally speaking keep my head in the sand

mfb- t1_iy7gxtu wrote

You need a pretty rare collection of results to be eliminated after the second round out of three. The only option I'm aware of:

• You need to lose both games
  • The team which plays in both other games (i.e. your last opponent) needs to win one game and tie the other.

Canada lost both games, Morocco vs Croatia was a tie, and Morocco defeated Belgium. That gives the Morocco 1+3 = 4 points, Croatia has 4 points as well (3 from the win against Canada). Canada can reach at most three points from winning the last game, so they won't be among the top two no matter what. Canada will be 3rd or 4th in its group of 4 and drop out.

Qatar has the same situation in their group, so they are eliminated as well.

Most eliminations happen in the third round, which will start in a few hours for the first group.