Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

rabb1thole t1_ivvt85c wrote

−4

IvanIsOnReddit t1_ivvtikh wrote

Yeah, that was still being done with coke in Latin America til the 00’s. We did it like that at home. I’m sure Africa too. I never saw one of those bottles littering. They were picked up to sell within 5 minutes of you abandoning them.

rabb1thole t1_ivvty5w wrote

That's nice. It doesn't make it the norm. Do your research. Glass is too expensive to recycle.

IvanIsOnReddit t1_ivvu7gz wrote

You can’t even tell the difference between recycling and reusing and are asking me to do research on wether glass was being used before disposable plastic was invented?

IvanIsOnReddit t1_ivvuhw9 wrote

My point is precisely a criticism of it not being the norm.

Here’s how it works, where it works: you buy a liter of coke in a glass bottle, it costs $2 but you pay $4 because you have no bottle to return. You drink it. When you want more Coke you bring the bottle and exchange it for a full bottle. Option 2: you buy the Coke for $2, drink it there and return the bottle right there.

Am I calling for banning plastic? No. But the default where I grew up was the glass bottle, no plastic waste. Plastic is almost never fully recycled, it degrades every cycle and is often mixed in with new plastic because it makes the manufacturing process less variable.

Sanchopanza1377 t1_ivvwzef wrote

I lived in a tiny little town in the United States of America, and when I bought a Coke in a glass bottle, I drank it there....

This was the norm until the climate change crowd got paper bags banned, insisting plastic was better for the environment.

Yo want to reduce CO2, go plant a *&#@ tree.

Other than that, you idiots should stop trying to help...

−1

evilgiraffe666 t1_ivxbfj3 wrote

You can still get milk delivered in the UK with reused bottles, it's unusual but becoming a little more popular as an eco thing.