Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Kinetic_Symphony t1_iz60y0u wrote

What made them more expensive? I don't have much experience riding myself, only have used the Honda rebel 1100 with a DCT. Seems to be low maintenance and incredibly cheap on fuel. (Over 50 MPG)

And yeah it does sound fun lol

ar243 t1_iz624wy wrote

Cost of regular maintenance and tire replacements is much higher than a car. Chain, oil, tires, all these things have to be replaced after a while.

Cost of gear is super high too. I wouldn't be surprised seeing gear price tags with four digits.

Plus, motorcycles don't last as long as cars. A motorcycle with 30,000 miles is considered ancient, whereas that's still decently new for a car. So the amount you can drive before needing a new one is a lot shorter.

A lot of these costs aren't seen right away or aren't seen in the MSRP, which gives the illusion that bikes are wayyyy cheaper than cars.

Kinetic_Symphony t1_iz62hvv wrote

Interesting, maybe you're riding different motorcycles. The Honda Rebel 1100 is made exceptionally well, with good maintenance it can easily reach six figure miles before any major issues arise.

Definitely not free, but overall, especially for the very low upfront cost, it's massively cheaper relative to a car.

ar243 t1_iz685y5 wrote

Yeah for sure. Personally my 2018 GSXR 600 is MUCH cheaper than my 2012 Audi A6, which has cost me more in maintenance in 4 years than the original price I bought the car for.

ar243 t1_iz629ol wrote

Also how do you like the DCT? They seem like a super cool addition to any bike, but I've never gotten a chance to ride one with it

Kinetic_Symphony t1_iz63vu1 wrote

It's so smooth when in sport mode (there's custom user modes too so you can manually choose torque, speed, engine breaking).

Hard to imagine going back to non-DCT. Especially in city riding.

ar243 t1_iz68cyz wrote

That's awesome. I'm terrible at shifting, so a DCT would be an amazing upgrade for me.

Kinetic_Symphony t1_iz68orz wrote

It's night and day difference. I know some people say eventually shifting and riding the clutch becomes second nature, and while it is easier overtime it never actually feels perfectly seamless to me.

DCT is a game-changer. Always feels pleasant to ride now, never a fear of stalling at a light lmao.