Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Bitter_Arachnid_25 t1_izd8lz9 wrote

I think it is this: for all the babies born in 2021 having a given name, the location on each axis is the percentage of those babies who are female in either the US or England/Wales.

So for example, for babies with the name Angel: in England/Wales, about 82% are female and in the US, only about 13% are female. In both locations, more than 80% of babies with the name Wren are female and fewer than 20% of babies named Dillon are female.

Some conclusions you could make: In England/Wales, Hadley is more likely to be considered a boy's name (just over 20% female) but in the US, Hadley is almost exclusively a girl's name (nearly 100% female). In both areas, Dillon is a boy's name and Wren is a girl's name.

AdAcrobatic7236 t1_izdtywm wrote

đŸ”„ A chart requiring a three paragraph explanation that may or may not even be correct. Why is this “chart” even here?

FatalTragedy t1_ize6ju8 wrote

I mean it's pretty clear that's how this chart works without that explanation...

AdAcrobatic7236 t1_izf9iog wrote

đŸ”„ My comment, if that’s what you’re referring to, was regarding people having difficulty understanding the chart due to its questionable execution

FatalTragedy t1_izfk51v wrote

And my comment was pointing out that it's actually an easy chart to understand.

AdAcrobatic7236 t1_izfpak8 wrote

đŸ”„Thank you for clarifying that you were not the subject of my comment

FatalTragedy t1_izfs1sc wrote

I never claimed I was or was not the subject of your comment, nor was I clarifying what the subject of your comment was.

Antrootz t1_izdujx8 wrote

Or at least, include this description next to the chart

FatalTragedy t1_ize6lid wrote

The labels of the axes tell you the same thing as the description, just more succinctly.