Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

dublin2001 t1_izbpm8v wrote

Is the difference with Angel because most Americans with the name have the Spanish version Ángel? While there are far less with Spanish names in general in England/Wales.

pondrthis t1_ize1fho wrote

This, never known a woman (or person at all) named "aynjell", but known plenty of men named "ahngell"/"ahnhel".

LuwiBaton t1_izcyz3x wrote

Some of these are just words… Justice, Indigo, River, Ocean?!

Splarnst t1_ize7aq8 wrote

A lot of names are "just words":

Daisy, Rose, Dahlia, Petunia, Sally, Sky, Margarita, Hunter, etc.

tirednervousbroke t1_izeva2c wrote

Who tf is named Margarita

Splarnst t1_izfznyw wrote

It’s a Spanish name, so usually people of Hispanic descent.

It means “daisy.” The drink is also named after the flower.

[deleted] t1_izcoxoi wrote

[deleted]

TomSandovalsTrumpet t1_izd4468 wrote

Same. I don't get what this chart is showing?

Bitter_Arachnid_25 t1_izd8lz9 wrote

I think it is this: for all the babies born in 2021 having a given name, the location on each axis is the percentage of those babies who are female in either the US or England/Wales.

So for example, for babies with the name Angel: in England/Wales, about 82% are female and in the US, only about 13% are female. In both locations, more than 80% of babies with the name Wren are female and fewer than 20% of babies named Dillon are female.

Some conclusions you could make: In England/Wales, Hadley is more likely to be considered a boy's name (just over 20% female) but in the US, Hadley is almost exclusively a girl's name (nearly 100% female). In both areas, Dillon is a boy's name and Wren is a girl's name.

AdAcrobatic7236 t1_izdtywm wrote

🔥 A chart requiring a three paragraph explanation that may or may not even be correct. Why is this “chart” even here?

FatalTragedy t1_ize6ju8 wrote

I mean it's pretty clear that's how this chart works without that explanation...

AdAcrobatic7236 t1_izf9iog wrote

🔥 My comment, if that’s what you’re referring to, was regarding people having difficulty understanding the chart due to its questionable execution…

FatalTragedy t1_izfk51v wrote

And my comment was pointing out that it's actually an easy chart to understand.

AdAcrobatic7236 t1_izfpak8 wrote

🔥Thank you for clarifying that you were not the subject of my comment…

FatalTragedy t1_izfs1sc wrote

I never claimed I was or was not the subject of your comment, nor was I clarifying what the subject of your comment was.

Antrootz t1_izdujx8 wrote

Or at least, include this description next to the chart

FatalTragedy t1_ize6lid wrote

The labels of the axes tell you the same thing as the description, just more succinctly.

mfb- t1_izd7ijc wrote

The x-axis is the fraction of babies with that given name in the US who are female, the y-axis is the same fraction in England and Wales.

Angel in the upper left as example: In the US this is usually a male given name (~90% male, 10% female out of everyone with that name), in England and Wales it's a female given name (~20% male, 80% female).

lapsangsouchogn t1_izbljqk wrote

That 60-80 block for both.

Ariel, Monroe, Eden = 20-25% of those are boys?

And Lync? How does that even get a dot on the chart?

brieflyamicus t1_izbm394 wrote

Ariel is a male name in Judaism, e.g. Prime Minister Ariel Sharon

philman132 t1_izbtgz1 wrote

I think that says Lyric, not Lync. Google seems to suggest is is most common in Greece

mkaszycki81 t1_izdiq0c wrote

I'm curious what names would be in the top left and bottom right corners. The intensity of the dots suggests that there's a number of such names.

Retrospectrenet t1_izdps62 wrote

I've made a list the outliers in this post (not op). It covers more than one year, back 1996, and it's a list if the names with the biggest difference.

NiceShotMan t1_ize4iww wrote

On the bottom left are all the names for which there is universal consensus in both Britain and USA that they are considered male. This constitutes the majority of male names, such as John, Mark, Anthony, Matthew etc. which is why it’s so concentrated.

Conversely, on the top right are all the names that both Britain and USA universally consider female.

−1

Quacksely t1_ize6fzt wrote

They didn't say top right and bottom left, though, did they?

NoNameClever t1_izdpe74 wrote

So, looking at the graph as a whole the lower right is considerably more busy than the top-left. One interpretation is it appears parents in the US are much more willing to give traditionally "male names" to girls. That empty top-left is interesting too. You may argue that almost no one is giving boys a traditionally "female name" on either side of the pond. Obviously other interpretations are possible too!

Retrospectrenet t1_izdqh6p wrote

Surnames for girls are still popular in the US whereas in the UK they've declined since the 1980s. A good chunk of those bottom half names are surnames, which are still semi popular for boys only in the UK.

NiceShotMan t1_ize5h8l wrote

Yes this is the most striking conclusion I drew from the graph as well. Essentially,

1. Americans are sometimes giving their daughters traditionally male names
  2. British people are not
  3. Nobody is giving their sons traditionally female names

brieflyamicus t1_izey9cj wrote

It's historically true that names almost always pass from being "boy names" to unisex to "girl names", with almost no names going in the other direction. That process is completed with Ashley, it's mostly happened to Leslie and Lindsey, and it's ongoing with Riley, Jordan, etc.

I think the graph implies that this process happens in the US and UK at different moments: Americans start giving boys' names to girls, and only later do Brits do the same. Possibly, Americans are very high-profile in media, so they have disproportionate influence on international trends?

eric5014 t1_izbn6qp wrote

Good to see this - I think I remember suggesting this last year.

jakubkonecki t1_izdq2w0 wrote

This chart would be more beautiful with even more random pink circles.

Retrospectrenet t1_izdq7vn wrote

I wish the axis were of equal length so it was square. Are the bubble sizes the combined number by country? Interesting graph!

pncohen OP t1_izf8y9g wrote

you are right it should be square! Probably messes up the perception that it's not. The sizes are the average of the two countries' births per 1000 for each, so it's equally representing the relative commonness of the name in two (unequally size) populations.

infegy t1_izf6za6 wrote

I'm getting a definite blood spatter vibe from this.