Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Moxie_the_collie t1_j3ndi8t wrote

That is quite the eating/drinking out budget!

johnnyB1994 OP t1_j3nfore wrote

Tell me about it lol. It is partially due to us moving to a new city last year and wanting to experience the local fare.

That said though, our goal this year is to cut back 5% on food and allocate that to savings.

BLAZENIOSZ t1_j3qkpxe wrote

I feel like you could cut back 50% and not notice much of a difference.

johnnyB1994 OP t1_j3rc046 wrote

I could probably cut back even more than that. But I’ll notice the difference on anything over 10%. It would mean less food, or more trips to budget grocery stores, or conscious decisions to dine out less or avoid nicer restaurants, and sometimes saying no to social gatherings.

While I’m aware we overspend on food and beverage - It doesn’t bother me all that much. I see it as an investment in good memories. We’re rarely eating fast food, instead we’re arranging plans with friends to try new restaurants and bars. Heading into my thirties, I’m also aware that these gatherings will be less and less frequent as we all start making families.

Tomorrow is never certain so personally, I try to balance out how much I’m saving for the future with how much I’m investing in todays experiences (and future memories).

All that to say, I’m going to stick with a 5% reduction goal because I love food, drink, and good company 😅

urgjotonlkec t1_j3nflqq wrote

Not really TBH. This is two people and food ain't cheap these days.

DemonicDevice t1_j3nhlrj wrote

More than they spent on groceries

urgjotonlkec t1_j3nj560 wrote

And? Obviously they eat out a lot. I doubt they would have saved that much only eating at home.

DemonicDevice t1_j3njvuu wrote

Eating at home is much cheaper

urgjotonlkec t1_j3nlso4 wrote

It really depends on where you're going out and where you're buying groceries. TBH I really don't find it to be a big benefit. Maybe if you're making everything from scratch or you're one of those FIRE weirdos who always posts about eating nothing but rice and beans.