Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

marriedacarrot t1_j3zw3gc wrote

Yeah that's why there's all those fat vegans running around.

−7

DFjorde t1_j40rq2v wrote

More that it's basically impossible to eat too many calories from vegetables.

That also makes it difficult to hit high protein goals though.

marriedacarrot t1_j41paet wrote

If you have a high protein goal for the sake of getting jacked, you're going to need a specialized diet anyway, regardless of whether you eat meat. Body builders aren't going to TGI Fridays and eating pizza like a regular American omnivore.

Traciatim t1_j41c0d1 wrote

There actually are quite a few. A huge amount of vegan food is highly processed trash, and things like onion rings are vegan.

The scrawny grey vegan comes from the fact that if you do eat mostly plants and don't pile on things like oils it's very difficult to get both high protein and balanced nutrition while also getting a good amount of calories, so they end up looking malnourished. This could mostly be corrected with some resistance training and a daily vegan blend protein powder with some oils in the foods though.

marriedacarrot t1_j41ottq wrote

Are you saying the vegan obesity rate is the same as the omnivore obesity rate?

Of the 20+ vegans I know, the ones that are overweight or scrawny were already that way before they turned vegan. The rest of us are energetic, fit, and have plenty of muscle tone. I feel like if I were unhealthy, a doctor would have said something to me about it some time over the last 25 years (especially during pregnancy).

I'm not sure how much protein you think a person needs to eat every day to maintain a healthy (non body builder) muscle weight. But the number of vegan body builders demonstrates you can get ripped on plants if you put your mind to it.

Traciatim t1_j41pu7z wrote

No, I said nothing even close to your delusional rant.