Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

lokivpoki23 t1_j49ksii wrote

No, you wouldn’t. Like I wrote in my other comment, NYC’s municipal government is weird. If you are writing a letter to Manhattan, you address it as New York, New York. For Brooklyn, same as with Staten Island or The Bronx, you say Brooklyn, New York. Queens is where it gets even weirder. AFAIK, there is no address with Queens, New York. If you’re writing a letter to someone in Flushing or Maspeth, Queens, you address it as Flushing, New York or Maspeth, New York.

DataPsychological689 t1_j4deti0 wrote

You can put ny, ny for a Brooklyn address bc that’s technically correct. As long as the zip code is correct, it’ll get delivered without issue

lokivpoki23 t1_j4dm3p0 wrote

I forgot about that lol, I’m just so used to putting Brooklyn that I don’t think about it any more.

Plane-Bee-374 t1_j4fv6le wrote

I mean it might get delivered without issue if you get the zip code right.

DataPsychological689 t1_j4gikmr wrote

No it will get delivered without issue.

Plane-Bee-374 t1_j4jh3g4 wrote

Like every 10th thing correctly addressed and sent to my place - where I’ve been for 6-7 years - gets “returned to sender - no such address”. I think there’s one substitute postal worker who sees my apartment number and goes “3X… surely that’s fake”. (Not the real address but close).

For the most part I think postal workers are salt of the earth, - my granny was a letter carrier - but there’s also some real problems in the local PO.

YouandWhoseArmy t1_j4h98c6 wrote

So like the other dude you’re responding to, kinda helpful to know what you’re talking about.

People still colloquially write Brooklyn, NY because Brooklyn was its own city. New York, NY would be right for a Brooklyn address. Brooklyn has a lot more civic stuff because it was in competition with Manhattan. There is a lot of weird stuff cause if the original city status.

Conversely queens was never a city, just a loose amalgamation of towns/villages so many people still address the original towns.

lokivpoki23 t1_j4hmf9s wrote

Funnily enough, I kind of do know what I’m talking about. I’ve only lived in Brooklyn my entire life (outside of the maybe 4 months after I was born, which were spent in Manhattan).

Yes, you can technically address Brooklyn-bound mail to New York, New York as long as the zip code is correct. I could even address an envelope to Fort Lauderdale, NY and as long as the zip code is a Brooklyn one it will get there.

But why make the USPS’s job harder? They tell us to address Brooklyn-bound mail to Brooklyn, NY, and we do. Brooklyn mail is already bad enough, no need to complicate it more.

YouandWhoseArmy t1_j4i2mdp wrote

I’m telling you the actual reason that is, which you and most native New Yorkers don’t know.

Funnily enough, I’ve also lived here my entire life and just happen to know more weird trivia than you.

lokivpoki23 t1_j4ixlc2 wrote

Are you referring to why the addresses are the easy they are (because of the 1898 consolidation)? I knew that already. What I’m referring to is that it is improper to address an envelope to someone in Brooklyn using New York, New York. No one I’ve ever known does that, we all follow what the post office says to do, which is Brooklyn, New York.

5kyl3r t1_j49lw6m wrote

ok well i don't care about stupid semantics. if the only addresses that are truly NY, NY are in manhattan, then i was right. and i heard this fact from my friend from brooklyn, which is why i even bothered to repeat it without looking it up

−68

fledgeborg t1_j4cenzr wrote

You’re dumb

Source: Currently live in Brooklyn, which is a part of NYC

affictionitis t1_j4cgg3j wrote

It's not semantics, and you're wrong. Your friend is wrong. Have a nice day.

ElamHamishistheMan t1_j4ckqfz wrote

As a New Yorker and Brooklynite I shall speak to you in the language of my people:

SUCK MA DICK YOU BUM

lokivpoki23 t1_j49wwj1 wrote

I guess I didn’t explain it clearly enough, tbf it’s a weird concept to get your head around though. Here are some Wikipedia articles that might help you understand what I’m trying to say:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Government_of_New_York_City

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boroughs_of_New_York_City

>All five boroughs came into existence with the creation of modern New York City in 1898, when New York County (including The Bronx), Kings County, part of Queens County, and Richmond County were consolidated within one municipal government under a new city charter. All former municipalities within the newly consolidated city were eliminated.

>New York City was originally confined to Manhattan Island and the smaller surrounding islands that formed New York County. As the city grew northward, it began annexing areas on the mainland, absorbing territory from Westchester County into New York County in 1874 (West Bronx) and 1895 (East Bronx). During the 1898 consolidation, this territory was organized as the Borough of the Bronx, though still part of New York County. In 1914, Bronx County was split off from New York County so that each borough was then coterminous with a county.

>When the western part of Queens County was consolidated with New York City in 1898, that area became the Borough of Queens. In 1899, the remaining eastern section of Queens County was split off to form Nassau County on Long Island, thereafter making the borough and county of Queens coextensive with each other.

eggsmackers t1_j4da0k0 wrote

Hey dumdum, quit commenting on shit you have no clue about.

Jasong222 t1_j4csy4c wrote

It's not the address that matters. It's the laws about jurisdiction, city limits, borders, etc. And those all day that NYC is the 5 boroughs.

There is no Brooklyn Police Department, if you live in Queens you pay NYC city tax, and so on.

vicmanthome t1_j4ddchr wrote

God you’re dumb! Lmao you’re not a NYer so how about you listen to us who actually live here and are trying to help you so you don’t sound dumb

[deleted] t1_j4h2up2 wrote

Lmao just take the L, you’re wrong, full stop.

Pastatively t1_j4eedy6 wrote

You are completely wrong. NYC is composed of 5 boroughs. The NYPD and NYFD cover all 5 boroughs. The subway covers all 5 boroughs. You pay New York city taxes in all 5 boroughs. All of the streets signs are the same color in all 5 boroughs. The driving and parking laws are the same in all 5 boroughs and the city government covers all 5 boroughs.

In short, you are wrong just admit it.

tsukamaenai t1_j4fukfr wrote

The subway doesn't really cover all 5 boroughs lol. SIR doesn't count.

Pastatively t1_j4jj5vw wrote

I was waiting for someone to make this contrarian comment. The Staten Island Railway is part of the NYC transit system, you use a metrocard or Omni to ride it, it is the same exact type of train as the subway trains, and it’s included on the official NYC subway map.

AnUglyUgly t1_j4g22f9 wrote

Live in Manhattan: nyc is Manhattan and cool parts of Brooklyn, hip-hop's history from the Bronx

Live in Brooklyn, Queens, Bronx: nyc is all three, plus Manhattan

Live in Staten Island: nyc is 5 boroughs

Pastatively t1_j4jio4h wrote

When you are an actual New Yorker: NYC is 5 boroughs.

AnUglyUgly t1_j4kvggx wrote

Bro, it's a joke... I think you got your Yankees cap and timbs on a little too tight.

LetshearitforNY t1_j4gybxh wrote

My address is Brooklyn, NY, and I receive mail addressed to NY, NY.

You are wrong and your “friend from Brooklyn” was wrong.

gaberockka t1_j4mcycn wrote

I'm a native New Yorker. I've lived here my entire life. I grew up in Manhattan, and I currently live in Brooklyn. You are wrong. You're friend is wrong. You are making a fool of yourself. That is all.