Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

YouandWhoseArmy t1_j4h98c6 wrote

So like the other dude you’re responding to, kinda helpful to know what you’re talking about.

People still colloquially write Brooklyn, NY because Brooklyn was its own city. New York, NY would be right for a Brooklyn address. Brooklyn has a lot more civic stuff because it was in competition with Manhattan. There is a lot of weird stuff cause if the original city status.

Conversely queens was never a city, just a loose amalgamation of towns/villages so many people still address the original towns.

lokivpoki23 t1_j4hmf9s wrote

Funnily enough, I kind of do know what I’m talking about. I’ve only lived in Brooklyn my entire life (outside of the maybe 4 months after I was born, which were spent in Manhattan).

Yes, you can technically address Brooklyn-bound mail to New York, New York as long as the zip code is correct. I could even address an envelope to Fort Lauderdale, NY and as long as the zip code is a Brooklyn one it will get there.

But why make the USPS’s job harder? They tell us to address Brooklyn-bound mail to Brooklyn, NY, and we do. Brooklyn mail is already bad enough, no need to complicate it more.

YouandWhoseArmy t1_j4i2mdp wrote

I’m telling you the actual reason that is, which you and most native New Yorkers don’t know.

Funnily enough, I’ve also lived here my entire life and just happen to know more weird trivia than you.

lokivpoki23 t1_j4ixlc2 wrote

Are you referring to why the addresses are the easy they are (because of the 1898 consolidation)? I knew that already. What I’m referring to is that it is improper to address an envelope to someone in Brooklyn using New York, New York. No one I’ve ever known does that, we all follow what the post office says to do, which is Brooklyn, New York.