Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

spicer2 OP t1_j4n0vbd wrote

Source: Spotify

Tools used: Python, Flourish (not banned for static charts, right??)

Methodology: This was a really interesting exercise but needs a bit of explaining. What you're looking at is the number of songs whose titles contain a time of day within that window - so 3:33AM would fit between 3-4 on the AM side, 7:34PM would go between 7-8 on the PM side, and so on.

This only looks at times formatted by the 12 hour clock, as there's no foolproof way to verify that something like 11:11 is intended as a time and not something else (usually Bible verses). So 12:51 by The Strokes, for example, isn't picked up on this. And it obviously doesn't include times of day that can be expressed with words, like midnight and noon.

Tidbits:

The day in music is like the inverse of a typical day. The general pattern is that when people are most awake there's fewer songs, and vice versa.

I was really surprised that 3:00AM was the most popular minute/time to name a song after. Although the word "midnight" isn't counted here, I assumed 12AM or 12PM would be the obvious winner. 3AM is like the ultimate shorthand for the middle of the night, when you can't sleep, you're thinking about someone and you want to write a song about it. I also have a lot of time for the person who wrote a song called "Sneaking To The Fridge To Get Beans At Exactly 3:42AM".

3:33AM is the most popular time not at the top of an hour.

Every minute between 1:16AM and 7:34AM has at least one song attached to it.

The longest consecutive period of time without an attached song is just 2 minutes (which happens on multiple occasions).

ElvisDumbledore t1_j4neiui wrote

4am is supposedly the most common time referenced in songs. I wish I could find a source for that.

StuartGotz t1_j4ogfd2 wrote

Bill Haley fucked this all up.

garymrush t1_j4owkp9 wrote

It’s five o’clock on a Saturday.

miclugo t1_j4q4nax wrote

There should be one more at 3:34 or 3:35 AM for Chicago's "25 or 6 to 4"