Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

Sparred4Life t1_jaerdrz wrote

The Japanese believe that if they make good cars, people will buy their cars again when they need to buy a car. American automakers believe that if people have to replace their cars more often, they'll make more money.

MattR9590 OP t1_jaerkso wrote

Yeah that seems about right. It just seems a little shortsighted on the US manufacturers side though.

Sparred4Life t1_jaev0hs wrote

When you run a business by quarterly reports that can happen.

RSwordsman t1_jaewyr7 wrote

My FIL had a '98 Honda CR-V that had almost 200k miles until it racked up too much in repairs to keep. I told myself when I was in the market, I was definitely going for a Honda.

The time came and I got a used 2012 Civic with 35k miles. Now the car's 11 years old, around 160k miles and still going strong. Building to less than exceptional reliability seems like a terrible business decision unless you go strictly for the customers for whom money is no object, and/or the ones with more dollars than sense.

Sparred4Life t1_jaexdfa wrote

You mean like the ones who will only buy Chevy because their daddy drove a Chevy, and his daddy drove a chevy...? :)

RSwordsman t1_jaexlgd wrote

Either that or people who don't care about having constant car payments and just lease new ones all the time I guess hehe.

Sparred4Life t1_jaey0s4 wrote

Yeah! If that's the approach a new American car will last that long for sure, that's a good point!

a_seventh_knot t1_jaerbpn wrote

then why would people buy new cars every 5 years?

Flair_Helper t1_jaerco9 wrote

Please read this entire message

Your submission has been removed for the following reason(s):

Questions about a business or a group's motivation are not allowed on ELI5. These are usually either straightforward, or known only to the organisations involved, leading to speculation (Rule 2).

If you would like this removal reviewed, please read the detailed rules first. If you believe this submission was removed erroneously, please use this form and we will review your submission.