Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

Aussie_Mo_Bro t1_ja03deq wrote

You've answered your own question.

They're allowing free access to this particular bit of code.

The reasons are varied, but could include

• Based on an already open source code

• Used in a paid product or service. The extra support is offered for free

• It is intended for academic use

• Its just a small project that they don't want any money for

• It is a requirement for a third party site or service that your code is made freely available

• They just want to make it freely available

• It is a legal grey area, and charging for it would definitely be illegal

UntangledQubit t1_ja049x4 wrote

There's a significant incentive for programmers early in their career, which is as a resume builder. College students are often advised to put school or independent projects on github to use during interviews.

Tr4c3gaming t1_ja03m78 wrote

Also lets not forget other developers can add to it and work out possible problems, pretty cooperative envoirement at times.

spudmix t1_ja07m3b wrote

This is a good answer, and I'd also add that many individuals/companies thrive only because they exist in an ecosystem where everyone contributes to the advancement of software. Amazon makes a lot of money selling cloud computing resources, for example, so it benefits them to make contributions to advance and grow software development in general which then drives more demand for cloud compute.

dmazzoni t1_ja0al83 wrote

While /u/Aussie_Mo_Bro's answer is good, I think one piece that needs more explanation is that most programmers make money by selling their time, not by selling their code.

Very few programmers write code to sell directly to customers.

Sure, it happens sometimes. There are some indie apps and games on the app store. And some programmers sell their code. But overall that's not a great way to make money.

Instead, most software that needs to be written - including websites and apps - is a means to an end. Chipotle has an app so that people will buy burritos. Avis has an app so that you can rent a car. Chipotle and Avis each pay lots of programmers to build those apps for them. That's generally how most developers make money.

To repeat: Programmers don't make money by writing code and selling the code. They make money by people paying them to write custom code for them.

So because of that, when a programmer releases something as open-source, they didn't lose anything. The code is already written, it's not going to make them money if they keep it secret.

Aussie_Mo_Bro t1_ja262c7 wrote

I've not worked anywhere that doesn't keep the code you write as their property.

Not saying it doesn't happen, and I haven't really been contracting

dmazzoni t1_ja3hbrc wrote

Sure, I'm not saying you open source code produced for someone else.

Companies sometimes open-souece code that they need but isn't key to their profit. For example, Facebook open sourced React because they found it to be a useful way to build web frontend but it has nothing to do with their core business. So Facebook gets more out of people freely collaborating on React than they would out of keeping it secret.

[deleted] t1_ja05j5z wrote

[removed]

explainlikeimfive-ModTeam t1_ja06brj wrote

Please read this entire message

Your comment has been removed for the following reason(s):

• Top level comments (i.e. comments that are direct replies to the main thread) are reserved for explanations to the OP or follow up on topic questions (Rule 3).

Anecdotes, while allowed elsewhere in the thread, may not exist at the top level.

If you would like this removal reviewed, please read the detailed rules first. If you believe it was removed erroneously, explain why using this form and we will review your submission.

Zeroflops t1_ja06yye wrote

Some companies will OS a subset of the features, which allows users to build around their code only later to discover they really like it and are willing to pay for the additional features.

RedHat a major linux support company OS all their code in the beginning, they made money off of support and service rather than the actual code.

Flair_Helper t1_ja09xwl wrote

Please read this entire message

Your submission has been removed for the following reason(s):

Questions about a business or a group's motivation are not allowed on ELI5. These are usually either straightforward, or known only to the organisations involved, leading to speculation (Rule 2).

If you would like this removal reviewed, please read the detailed rules first. If you believe this submission was removed erroneously, please use this form and we will review your submission.