Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Dorkamundo t1_je2he2g wrote

Choice.

Really, that's the crux of it. A person can choose to identify however they want, there's no set criteria for what would make a person choose to be identified as male or female, it's simply "What makes that person feel more comfortable?"

Now, inevitably this is confusing for people at times, especially when the outward signs would suggest that the person should be considered one or the other based on appearance. But making mistakes is part of life, and if that person tells you they prefer another pronoun, it's just common courtesy to do so.

jamesgelliott t1_je2jje2 wrote

"Choice.

Really, that's the crux of it. A person can choose to identify however they want, there's no set criteria for what would make a person choose to be identified as male or female, it's simply "What makes that person feel more comfortable?"

Yes. However a person chooses to identify, it doesn't validate their choice.

Everyone should be be treated with respect and and dignity but that doesn't mean their choice should be met with validation.

I have worked as a psych RN. It's OK to validate someone's feelings but it doesn't make it true.

As long as someone's beliefs don't infringe on other peoples rights, that's OK.

So a homeless person demanding others validate their delusion is wrong. But if a homeless person believes they are Elvis or JFK, then just leave them alone and get them help if they WANT it.

−5

OccludedFug t1_je2l6h7 wrote

It seems to me that there's a difference between identifying as female or male, vs. identifying as an historic figure, vs. identifying as an animal or even as another race.

jamesgelliott t1_je2lmla wrote

I get that you can't distinguish the difference and similarities so I'm not going to spend my time conversing with you. Have a great evening my friend.

−6

imagicnation-station t1_je2sltj wrote

I think the reason you don't want to engage is because you know he has a point and you don't have a response to his statement.

Your argument is based on a fallacy. Trans people ONLY want to identify with a gender they feel best fits them. Then people like yourself come along and create strawmans by equating "identifying with a specific gender" to "identifying as a helicopter" and other wild comparisons.

Also, science in genetics refutes your way of thinking.

[deleted] t1_je2jvh9 wrote

[removed]

[deleted] t1_je2o6hj wrote

[removed]

explainlikeimfive-ModTeam t1_je34nzn wrote

Please read this entire message

Your comment has been removed for the following reason(s):

• Rule #1 of ELI5 is to be nice.

Breaking rule 1 is not tolerated.

If you would like this removal reviewed, please read the detailed rules first. If you believe it was removed erroneously, explain why using this form and we will review your submission.

jamesgelliott t1_je2k2ti wrote

20+ years of experience so I don't know what you're point is.

Enlighten me.

killerklixx t1_je2ldsv wrote

Oh, might be something to do with not being very open to transgender psychology. I would expect a psych nurse to have a bit more compassion, or at least a bit more insight.

jamesgelliott t1_je2mqqt wrote

Compassion doesn't equate to validation.

Do you think psych professionals lack compassion when they hear a patient tell about their delusions???

We don't do that.

Dorkamundo t1_je2lgxl wrote

>However a person chooses to identify, it doesn't validate their choice.

Their choice does not require validation by you, only respect for their preferences.

UKnowWhoToo t1_je2nmmk wrote

Does a transgender female get an opinion about abortions since males don’t but transgender females can never get pregnant?

Dorkamundo t1_je2uqab wrote

This has nothing to do with the topic at hand.

UKnowWhoToo t1_je55ebh wrote

Sure it does. Does their opinion change in value because their gender changed?

jamesgelliott t1_je2mcf1 wrote

There's a difference between validation and respect.

I can provide respect of their mindset but that doesn't make true.

Dorkamundo t1_je2ul6i wrote

So what does it matter if it’s true or not if you’re respecting their mindset?

Do you feel the need to call them by their pronouns while telling them that they’re not really the gender they identify with?