Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

nellirn t1_je7cpqo wrote

Its the same thing with body parts that are removed in surgery, like an appendix. It is sent to the lab, tested, then when they are done with all the testing, it is sent for incineration.

Guitar_t-bone t1_je7loee wrote

why don’t they let me keep it? i mean… isn’t it legally mine? could i sue em for it?

3L3M3NT4LP4ND4 t1_je7mkhn wrote

Not an expert but I assume it's a biological hazard due to it rotting. Yes all meat rots but when you buy a desd chicken its being sold under the assumption that it will be eaten, not the same for being given back your own organ or detached limb.

kaldicuck t1_je7ox1w wrote

outside of specific tests typically for cancer, things like an appendix are preserved in formalin. Outside of that its hospital/lab policy on whether they let you have it back if you want it. Usually extra paperwork and depends on what the specimen is as some tests destroy it as a part of the process.

balanabee t1_je7n9xa wrote

It does have to be tested but you can request to advertise your body part back. It is you after all.

Tizzee88 t1_je7x0ql wrote

It's crazy how fast it goes bad. Last week I had to go to the ER and the first thing they did was take like 4 to 5 vials of blood to run a "rainbow" test. After the doctor came in he told them what tests to run and they only used 1 or 2 vials and when I left 2 hours later you could see the blood they didn't use still sitting in the little tray all coagulated and shit.

tattednip t1_je7ytba wrote

...can I have my organs under the assumption I will be eating them...?

Zankastia t1_je7ylms wrote

They can give it to you sealed in a tube filled with alcohol

Detavitca t1_je7pqcq wrote

You can keep it. My hospital made me sign a form and requested that I bring my own own container. Incidentally, this was not a common practice, and what I requested to keep was not returned to me. They said it was in the lab and covered in formaldehyde. It was of no use to me after that. I was told that since I signed the form requesting it, I could have sued. I did not pursue this route.

Note: I was trying to keep my placenta so I could bury it in my garden.

TrialAndAaron t1_je7wvom wrote

My wife just had a breast implant removal and keeping them was an option. I said send package them up baby! They’re sitting on my counter right now. No idea what to do with them

kuh-tea-uh t1_je7ytp0 wrote

Take photos and post them here, of course!!

TrialAndAaron t1_je7z1ws wrote

Two 492 cc bags of silicone. Not that cool. Sort of regretting taking them now Lol

Edit: it was a useful tool to explain what surgery monk had to our kid

cjboffoli t1_je7tygi wrote

"You want a toe? I can get 'ya a toe. Heck, I can get you a toe by 3 o'clock WITH nail polish."

Skusci t1_je7mv54 wrote

No, you gave it to them to be tested.

Guitar_t-bone t1_je7n7gn wrote

I don’t think it works that way… I know they make you sign a thing when you DONATE blood because they have to take legal possession of it in order to eventually sell it…. But testing? No such relinquishing of property rights occurs… 🧐🧐🧐

Skusci t1_je7nika wrote

Should read whatever contract you sign. There's almost certainly a provision for how your blood is handled. It's mostly to keep people from thinking that the place might give your blood to someone and put it in a database or whatnot, -but- it also serves as them letting you know you aren't getting it back.

Edit: Just remembered some places do infact keep your bits after testing, but that's for like when you provide your blood to a research project, not like STD tests or whatnot.

fileknotfound t1_je7rscw wrote

You can request to keep your placenta after giving birth, and I know people who have kept wisdom teeth or gallstones after having them removed. I bet you can keep other stuff too, people just don’t ask for it very often.

SargeMaximus t1_je7uvwj wrote

When they took my appendix I had to sign a form saying once they took it out, it wasn’t mine anymore.

elliold t1_je7vn1z wrote

Check out the story of Henrietta Lacks. Once you give the sample, it is no longer yours.

micromaniac_8 t1_je7phes wrote

The same thing for amputations. I work in the lab at a hospital and we have whole limbs wrapped in biohazard bags that are dated with their disposal date. I've accidentally knocked them off their shelf a couple times... surprising heavy.