Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

TurkeyDinner547 t1_iu8husk wrote

A strawman argument is when you misportray your opponent's position to delegitimize their claim. "My opponent would have you think A, B, or C, when clearly anyone can see it's really D, E, or F." Metaphorically, you're putting a scarecrow or straw man, a misrepresentation of their exact position, up on a pole to be ripped apart and taken down, without giving your opponent a fair chance to state their position on the issue. Straw man is a logical fallacy and a rhetorical technique.

ABinturong t1_iu9gkl0 wrote

How does one defend against this in practice without looking like you're falling behind, or requiring you to address the method of argument rather than staying on topic? Straw men are a clearly useless logical too, but are often still used to effect debate outcomes by derailing the opponent. I absolutely hate this, and there must be a response... would it help to have a steelman ready to reshape your own point immediately after they stramwan it, to give them a tougher fight, or force them to strawman again which might catch with the audience as bad faith more clearly?

MrUnlucky-0N3 t1_iu9h86g wrote

A strawman argument is especially powerful outside of an actual debate, when you can't immediately react. If someone uses a strawman in e.g. an article, someone might never see your response, so there is no real defense in that case.

ABinturong t1_iu9i2n4 wrote

Is it ever valuable to just straight up end discourse with a power move, like just labelling them a coward for not addressing your point, since all they're about are optics in that case.

silent_cat t1_iu9hztp wrote

There isn't really a good response. See also the Gish Gallop where your opponent floods the public with plausible but incorrect statements that you simply don't have time to refute them all.

The only solution I can think of is to educate people to recognise it when it happens. And hopefully someone will interrupt with: hey, that's a strawman, please go back to the original argument.

Yes, I just suggested the only way to save the world is to educate people. So we're basically f*cked.

ABinturong t1_iu9jiag wrote

I have felt this deep down for a while, just watching modern 'discourse'. Hard to put it into words, and hard to find the energy once you make the realization of the scale of the problem.

TurkeyDinner547 t1_iu9i90n wrote

It takes time and practice to recognize logical fallacies as they're occurring, and also to be careful you don't fall into the same trap. Basically any persuasive argument should contain ethos (credibility), logos (logical argument using inductive or deductive reasoning), and pathos (inspire emotion in your audience). Skilled orators don't always believe the shit they're peddling, it's just that they know how to wield these techniques effectively. Sometimes, inspiring emotion in your audience is more effective than presenting a logical argument. These are tools only, and they can be mixed and matched as needed to persuade your audience to agree with your side of an argument. But when all else fails, as a rule of thumb, you should stick to logical, deductive reasoning and avoid employing logical fallacies to make your point.

plankis123 t1_iu8hpow wrote

It's basically when someone twists what their opponent said in order to make it easier to argue against like "I dislike when kids scream" and they respond with "Oh so you dislike kids? Well..." And so on.

Brave-Welder t1_iu8j0tr wrote

"Oh so you dislike kids? Well-"

"Yes. Yes, I dislike kids."

gazm2k5 t1_iu95jzs wrote

"Oh so you just want humanity to die out then, is that it?"

"Oh, yes please."

SueSudio t1_iu92s7z wrote

Also, often used disingenuously as an accusation when someone can't defend what they have said.

Razzmatazz2306 t1_iu8i38k wrote

A strawman argument is basically an exaggerated or perverse (or sometimes entirely made up) version of somebody else’s argument, which makes it easier to then take down. I’m not sure where the name came from, but I imagine a strawman is pretty easy to burn down, so something like that?

So for example if I wanted to argue to lower immigration, I could try and tackle the intricacies and difficulties in a fair way, making points to counter common arguments for increasing immigration. Or I could create a strawman, maybe the idea that people who want higher immigration want to get rid of white people or something. And then argue against the idea of getting rid of white people, which is simpler and easier, but of course nothing to do with the original point.

dimonium_anonimo t1_iu97oqy wrote

I always assumed it was like an effigy of your opponent. You can attack it as if you were attacking your opponent, but it can't defend itself. Perhaps like using a straw man as a sparring partner is not like true combat training.

__daco_ t1_iu8hwvw wrote

A straw man argument aims to misrepresent and ridicule the opponents positions. Such as:

• "I think the climate crisis is dangerous, we should build more renewables"

Strawman argument: - "what you want to deforest the landscape and destroy natural habitat to build windmills??"

man-in-blacks t1_iu8ih1b wrote

Nuclear (the only viable way) not windmills as they just aren't lol

__daco_ t1_iu8ij13 wrote

That would be a sensible non-strawman argument

copnonymous t1_iu8hys8 wrote

It's basically taking a small out of context word or phrase and making it seem like the person's entire argument based upon that phrase. Like the proverbial strawman, it's a hollow representation.

For instance let's say we're having an argument over climate change. I say "the data says that in 20 years this planet will be unrecognizably changed by the climate shift if we don't implement policy changes now." If I were to debate that with the intent to make a strawman I'd argue "my opponent is saying the world as we know it will end in 20 years."

While not technically false, I did say the world would be unrecognizable, it misreprents the actual point I made in order to make it easier to oppose.

sacoPT t1_iu97tme wrote

So Alice and Bob are discussing what is the color of the sky.

Alice says it’s blue, Bob asks why Alice hates red. Bob used a strawman argument because instead of debating Alice’s argument (the sky is blue) he is debating a made up premise (Alice hates red)

fabledlamb t1_iu9hvrf wrote

> I see it under arguments i thought made sense or were valid, but then the next comment is always like “strawman”

So you’re saying that any time somebody says “strawman”, whatever they’re arguing against is always valid?

That’s completely stupid, because the guy saying “strawman” could just be a troll, or just a guy paid to respond to everything with “strawman.” Anybody who thinks a “strawman” response proves anything is illogical and should feel bad. Really, you should be ashamed of yourself.

What I did above was to deliberately misrepresent what you actually said, and then attack the misrepresentation. This both avoids having to address your actual argument, and also gives me something really easy to attack.

Gnonthgol t1_iu8j5ac wrote

It comes from early days of political debates, before television and radio. The politicians would have to go to the voters and gather in town halls or churches to have debates in person. But due to scheduling there would often only be one politician showing up to these meetings. So they would literally build a dummy out of cheap materials, usually straw, to hold the debate. As you might imagine this was kind of silly with one person making up the arguments for both. That usually meant that the strawmans arguments were arguments that was easy to argue against and often quite silly. Usually just a faint resemblance of what the opposing political party actually meant.

You still hear this done today because it is a very effective rhetorical tool. If you are controlling the medium you can make up any silly argument for your opponent to make your side sound more sane and valid.

wilbur111 t1_iu9bzne wrote

First compare it to a steel man argument.

With a steel man argument you make your "opponent's" argument as strong and perfect as possible. You help them make their case... and then you try to show them they're wrong while debating their powerful reasons.

​

With a straw man argument you do the opposite. You take the weakest, least useful part of their argument, pretend it's their whole point, and then show them it's wrong.

"I think you're a terrible boyfriend because you killed your girlfriend, you stole all her money, you set her family on fire and even after fifteen years in jail you still haven't said 'sorry'."

"Oh. So you think people are 'bad' boyfriends just because they don't apologise for every little thing? 'Oh I'm sorry for breathing loudly. Oh I'm sorry for eating three cookies instead of two'. You think a man should be weak and surrender to the woman like a slave? Well I think that's pathetic. And I'm glad to be more manly than that."

_Connor t1_iu9kls9 wrote

You take someone's argument and turn it into something they didn't actually say, so then you can attack that fictional thing because that is easier than countering what they actually said.

Person A says something simple, like they wish income tax rates were lower.

Person B responds by saying 'oh so you want people to die then because there will be less money for social programs? How you could be such a monster?'

Person B created a strawman out of Person A's simple statement that they wished for lower income taxes and attacked the strawman instead. When the reality might be that person A wants income taxes lowered but for there to be higher corporate taxes and thus no 'people dying from the reduction of social programs.'

Flair_Helper t1_iu9v37p wrote

Please read this entire message

Your submission has been removed for the following reason(s):

Straightforward or factual queries are not allowed on ELI5. ELI5 is meant for simplifying complex concepts.

If you would like this removal reviewed, please read the detailed rules first. If you believe this submission was removed erroneously, please use this form and we will review your submission.

Narkareth t1_iu8iauw wrote

Basically an argument where someone responds without actually addressing the core issue. Example:

Person A: I think we should spend less on fuel.

Person B: well that's dumb, because driving is more convenient than walking.

The second argument is a "strawman" because it doesn't actually address whether spending less on fuel is a good idea, but rather redirects to a different topic.

To clarify the metaphor, a literal strawman is a scarecrow or dummy. It's not real. Argumentatively your discursive opponent is setting up fake target to avoid engaging with the real issue you're trying to raise.

dvmark t1_iu8htvp wrote

I understand it to be a tentative argument for debate. It’s a prototype and needs fleshing out. Or sometimes it’s an argument designed to be provocative and promote thinking along the lines of “well if not that then what?”

−5

Pegajace t1_iu8ia9j wrote

That’s not what a strawman is. A strawman argument is a fallacy in which you deliberately misrepresent your debate opponent’s position, because your version of their position is easier to argue against than their actual position.

dvmark t1_iu8qds1 wrote

I stand corrected and better informed.