Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Valeriy-Mark t1_iueh3a1 wrote

Brains perfectly work rationally while horny, humans aren't animals. The same argument can be used to justify rape

−14

odysseyshot t1_iuehh2o wrote

Humans are most definitely animals. We are very smart apes, but we are still apes. We still have natural instincts we need to fight against or work with.

Valeriy-Mark t1_iueiely wrote

I did not set my argument clear, yes, humans are animals. What I wanted to say by that though, is that we can easily control our instincts, we're a lot smarter than all the other animals. And people can easily fight horniness, the arguments "my instincts are hard to control" is a very lazy argument. The same argument can be used when you're in a heat of anger, which is an instinct too, but when people are angry they can easily control themselves and avoid the conflict/even a potential fight. The argument "I couldn't control my instincts" is a very lazy argument and it just shows that you're trying to get the blame out of yourself. Same with horniness

−4

odysseyshot t1_iuej2kt wrote

I'm not making an argument. This sub is r/explainlikeimfive so I was just trying to explain to you what is the most common explanation I've heard in the simplest way possible. I'm not advocating for or defending any practices.

I myself have no kids, have never had unprotected sex, and consider myself very in control of my emotions, so I don't even need to try to get out of any kind of blame. Anyway, I hope my explanation helped in some way.

Valeriy-Mark t1_iuekdvn wrote

I did not mean to say anything toward you particulary, and I apologize if I offended you in any way. By "you" I did not mean personally you, but just an abstract person. I'm just trying to have a discussion, I don't have anything against you!

And again, I'm sorry for offending you and please don't think I'm trying to attack you, I don't have banything against you

RTXEnabledViera t1_iueic8l wrote

>Brains perfectly work rationally while horny

Completely untrue, rational thinking can be impacted by all sorts of things. You don't have to be intoxicated to have a lapse in judgment, being hungry alone is enough to make the smartest brains slow down.

As for your original question, 1) folks don't really think rationally when your brain expects pleasure, you just want it and don't have time or resources to ponder the ramifications like you would any other time, 2) people like sex better without a piece of latex getting in the way, so some deliberately choose to take the risk.

JoBunk t1_iuelgx8 wrote

The difference is rape is not consensual. With consensual unprotected sex, both participants are consensual in a bad decision.