Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

TeamGrissini t1_j2dteco wrote

For some reason my mother used to have a large bottle of codeine as cough medicine at all times (in the 1990s), and I had it quite often. It's not great for chesty coughs, though, as it stops you from coughing the stuff up and out of your system.

themagicmunchkin t1_j2f057g wrote

Most codeine cough medicines also have an expectorant in them as well so when you do cough it does help you get stuff out. None of the prescription cough medicines completely eliminate coughing so you'll still be able to clear mucus from your respiratory system.

I'm on one right now because I've got a pretty severe case of bronchitis, but I only ever take it at night time because even a little bit of codeine gets me hella high, and even then it only mildly reduces my cough.

unhappymedium t1_j2emdz5 wrote

I have asthma and I've had to get it a few times during bad viruses and pneumonia where the cough wouldn't go away.

Adventurous-Quote180 t1_j2dykwk wrote

> for some reason

I live europe, but i remember that this was covered in US sitcomes often, that parents give codein their kids to get them sleep

Cleopatrashouseboy t1_j2eylfn wrote

Yeah I remember being around 11 and having the flu. My doctor prescribed pure codeine and my mum would give it every four hours. Needless to say I slept that whole week, lol.

TeamGrissini t1_j2e16u9 wrote

I don't remember her doing that, but who knows! I do remember helping myself to it without any hint of a cough, though, as a teenager, which in hindsight was not the best situation.

Adventurous-Quote180 t1_j2e3p2p wrote

Oh yeah thats a tipical sitcom situation too. Teens having their first big party or prom and drinking codein (bc they are too young to buy alcohol)