Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

RememberThatDream t1_j6aa44n wrote

To add one more point, (specifically about tequila) cheap tequila like José Quervo or Sauza are a mix of agavé (minimum 51% in order to be sold as tequila) and grain alcohol. It’s the grain alcohol component that gives it that cheap taste, whereas tequila made with 100% agavé has a smoother more consistent flavour. If you want good tequila make sure it says “made with 100% agavé” on the bottle

contactdeparture t1_j6ahwnj wrote

I'm going to get downvoted for this, fine whatever. Holy crap Boston did not do tequila well. I know a few places do now, but for decades that place was a backwater. I remember someone once said, "this is good, it's GOLD." With no sarcasm. Idiots.

Wasn't until I moved to California that I realized - one should never do burritos or tequila in Boston.

sweetnumb t1_j6b3082 wrote

I can't actually say since I've never been to Boston... but isn't that place just like every other place in the US where you can simply buy whichever one you want? Or are you just talking about tequila that was made in Boston?

[deleted] t1_j6b7z5m wrote

[deleted]

−8

muliardo t1_j6bauzq wrote

I don’t think you’ve been to California, if you think Boston has more variety of food

WACK-A-n00b t1_j6bqmi3 wrote

Uhhh... Say you don't know shit about California without saying you don't know shit about California.

I'm standing by for when you say you are from California or something. My reply will be "so it's incompetence, not ignorance."

chapstick__ t1_j6b8307 wrote

It's not possible to make tequila in Boston because that would be mezcal. Tequila has to come from tequila Mexico to be tequila.like how bourbon has to come from bourbon Kentucky. Boston probably just doesn't have very good tequila at bars.

−9

fiendo13 t1_j6bdymg wrote

Bourbon just has to be made in America, be over 50% corn, and aged in a new charred oak barrel. There is actually only one distillery in bourbon county, KY.

Scottzilla90 t1_j6bf8og wrote

Close, it has to come from the USA to be Bourbon (amongst other conditions) but can only be Kentucky Bourbon if it’s from Kentucky.

Rumhead1 t1_j6cr413 wrote

Tequila and mescal are different drinks and it has nothing to do with where it is made.

beorn12 t1_j6dd529 wrote

Mezcal is the overall term for distilled agave spirits. As such, there are many types of mezcales, made in different regions in Mexico, using various cultivars or even different species of agave. Tequila is a specific type of mezcal made from blue agave. It also has denomination of origin, so additionally for it to be legally called tequila, it must be made in the state of Jalisco or the bordering municipalities (counties) of Michoacan, Guanajuato, and Tamaulipas.

In practice, people separate tequila from the rest of mezcales, much like people set apart champagne from "wine", despite how champagne is literally a specific type of sparkling wine, made in the French region of Champagne.

sweetnumb t1_j6b881z wrote

Oh wow, you're right. Somehow I completely forgot about that.

ettmyers t1_j6cvo39 wrote

Mezcal actually has stricter guidelines than tequila, also must be made in certain Mexican regions.

contactdeparture t1_j6bamun wrote

Can't buy it there and most bars serve Cuervo as their mid range and worse as well. It's awful.

−11

Shouldacouldawoulda7 t1_j6cux3d wrote

Not sure how long it's been since you left... it is not hard to find good tequila in Boston. At least, it's no harder than any other place I've been to in the US.

sweetnumb t1_j6bbhw2 wrote

That's so strange to me. I don't think I've ever actually had Jose Cuervo either, is it really that much worse than other brands? I assume there's also a difference between their 100% de agave offerings and the 51% or whatever ones.

ringobob t1_j6cxk3z wrote

>I assume there's also a difference between their 100% de agave offerings and the 51% or whatever ones.

There's a difference, but 1800 (their 100% product) isn't great, either.

Sci-FantasyIsMyJam t1_j6d8jbz wrote

I haven't had the 1800, but I like Jose Cuervo Tradicional Anejo, which is 100% agave. It's pretty good, especially for the price.

ringobob t1_j6d9gm0 wrote

Tried it, was not a fan, though I know others like it. Good price, tastes better than 1800, OK in a marg. May even compete well in the price range, but I'd rather spend more on something I really enjoy.

SassySybil71 t1_j6bgboe wrote

Cali Girl here. Charlotte NC does not do tequila well either. Finding decent (not 51%) tequila there is definitely a needle in a hay stack adventure. Let's not even talk about their Mexican food....

Stick with BBQ & vodka in Charlotte.

no_usernames_avail t1_j6bnv5u wrote

I don't liquor shop in many parts of the country besides home... do you not have didn't liquor superstores that have everything and anything?

Snatch_Pastry t1_j6bs76v wrote

A lot of people don't have bottles at home, they just have some drinks when they go out.

Ratnix t1_j6cctqu wrote

And they don't ask for top shelf when they order drinks, so they get whatever cheap shit that particular establishment pours by default.

Some places, at least around here, will have the good stuff. But they don't pour it by default. You have to specifically ask for it, and they're going to charge you more for it.

Basically, it's like in the movies when someone walks up to a bar and says, "Give me a beer." Except they are just asking for a shot of tequila without specifying they want something other than the cheap shit.

Broomstick73 t1_j6d8dlg wrote

Should try this in real life - go to a bar and say “gimmie a beer” and when they say “what kind” just keep pushing back on “just gimmie a beer”. lol

SassySybil71 t1_j6bwthj wrote

California has great liquor stores - superstore or corner market. The ABC store in Charlotte was nothing like BevMo!. I took two good bottles in my checked luggage thankfully and the recipient of the bottle I gifted was very appreciative. (I spent four weeks working in Charlotte.)

[deleted] t1_j6dn2vh wrote

[removed]

im_the_real_dad t1_j6drctu wrote

I think your reply ended up under the wrong comment. I saw one further down where it would make much more sense. ;-)

Maidenbaby88 t1_j6c4r6o wrote

That’s exactly what I was thinking! NY has like so many different types at the store so do other parts not have it this way?

WinterSon t1_j6bv4af wrote

> Cali girl

At first glance this looks like "call girl" lol

DarthGuber t1_j6cjlnl wrote

Gotta go up to Raleigh for good Mexican food in NC.

Clewin t1_j6etac0 wrote

100% BLUE Agave. I make that distinction because there are tequila mixes with green Agave (Mezcal) that are 51% Blue as well. Tequila's main requirement is it being manufactured in Jalisco with Blue Agavé as the main ingredient. They use the piña, or the fruit of the plant, not the leaves, but the leaves are strong fibers and have other uses (like rope).

My ex ran a tourism company and I've been on so many tequila tours...