Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

C_Wisn OP t1_j6or6hk wrote

That’s what I was thinking!!! Like it just seems discriminatory to me. Like how can it be illegal to deny someone employment based on marriage status and family planning, but an institution you pay for, can kick you out for being pregnant be having a bf?

−2

stairway2evan t1_j6os42d wrote

Religious organizations can discriminate (with limits) for religious practices. At least in the US, there's a carveout - for example, a Catholic church can't refuse to hire a priest because he's black, or because he's handicapped, that would still be discrimination... but they can refuse to hire him if he's a Muslim, or if he's a Baptist, or even if he's married, because that directly conflicts with their religion.

But even with that, there's no legal protection of your right to kiss someone, or your right to sleep with someone, at least as far as membership in a club goes. You can't be thrown in jail for kissing someone on your college campus, but they're within their rights to kick you out, if their own rules say you can't do it.

That doesn't mean the rest of us have to like it, or even approve of it, but it's not actual discrimination.

throwawaydanc3rrr t1_j6ozqjn wrote

In the United States religious institutions get an exemption from certain employment laws. If the religion says no sex before marriage and a man comes to work at such a place and says "my girdfriend is pregnant!" he can get fired.

ScienceIsSexy420 t1_j6orvnh wrote

No, a private entity can refuse you service for any reason they want, except for a few protected reasons. You can refuse service to someone for the attitude, offensive clothing, or because you don't like their face. But you can't do it because you don't like their skin color or sexual orientation. There are some exceptions carved out for religious views, like in the case of sexual orientation, but even the church can't kick you out for your skin color. So it's a hybrid of religious exceptions, and private entities can be selective