Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

spudmix t1_j6gperq wrote

Disclaimer: Not a doctor, this is what I've learned from a being around vocal performers for most of my life.

Whispering is a surprisingly "high stress" activity for your larynx. When most people whisper they're not just pushing a little air past their vocal folds, they're tightening their vocal folds so much that they can't vibrate and produce the sounds your normal speaking voice produces. That's very tough on your vocal folds and trachea, and can cause or worsen laryngitis and tracheal strain. Whispering a lot is one of the behaviours that singers and ENT doctors might call "vocal cord abuse" and you shouldn't do it - your normal speaking voice is the safest and least stressful option if you want to speak.

You should definitely have a long, mature, sober think about how you're expressing yourself - vocal cord damage can become permanent if it's not taken seriously.

Your vocal tract and trachea are both also very important for swallowing. It's possible what your doctor is saying is that you have irritated, strained, or caused swelling in your larynx or trachea, and that issue is interfering with your ability to swallow fully.

If you're concerned or unsure please get your doctor's professional opinion. This is not a matter to trust to Reddit comments.

Flair_Helper t1_j6ik574 wrote

Please read this entire message

Your submission has been removed for the following reason(s):

ELI5 is not meant for any question that you may have, including personal questions, medical questions, legal questions, etc. It is meant for simplifying complex concepts.

If you would like this removal reviewed, please read the detailed rules first. If you believe this submission was removed erroneously, please use this form and we will review your submission.

spudmix t1_j6kt8qs wrote

I might occasionally say something to myself but if I do so I will tend to use the same voice that I would use with others - for example if I have made a silly mistake I might grumble an expletive, or I might use a joyous tone if something is funny. I do not think I ever whisper to myself.

For the most part, however, my thoughts stay in my head.