Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

CookieKeeperN2 t1_j9tnxfs wrote

6 star anise is waaaay too much. A standard in Chinese cooking is using 1-2 per 1kg (2.2lbs) of meat. It is not about if you like the flavor. Star anise has strong flavors. If you use 6 you overpower the rest of the flavor and destroys balances.

Here is the standard version. This chef is Sichuanese and this dish is actually accessible. I'd say one thing you can do to improve the flavor of the soup/beef is to stir fry the spices (especially the spice bean paste) to fully release its flavor, and then sear up the beef cubes in it. Also add a bit of sugar while you sear the beef cubes. It works miraculously.

Personally, I don't add MSG. soy sauce has enough of it. Instead of soy sauce, I add 黄豆酱 (soy bean sauce). This fermented bean product also includes plenty MSG, and it also softens up the meat. The chef used 芝麻酱/豆腐乳 which served the same purpose.

ccncwby OP t1_j9tqe2k wrote

Hey thanks! I'll definitely look at those other products you've mentioned! Always trying to learn more about foods haha.

I knew the anise would be polarizing 😂 you're just going to have to trust me when I say that 6 is prominent on the nose but not in the mouth. If it were in any way overpowering other flavours then I would have cut back. About that recipe you showed, the chef may have only used 3 stars but he also chucked in a handful of fennel seeds which contain a high amount of the exact same chemical (anethole) that gives it's flavour.

CookieKeeperN2 t1_j9tr1p3 wrote

He used like 2kgs of planks though. I also like star anise. My mom always says I am using too much lol. But you are on another level. But if you like it, keep doing that.

Fizzbit t1_j9u7g5w wrote

For the sake of not having to watch the full video and follow along to cook, is the recipe in the description? If so can someone translate?

CookieKeeperN2 t1_j9w19hy wrote

It has English cc. It's not automatically translated but manually created with very good accuracy.