Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

ptbo_skeptic OP t1_jacqmny wrote

Rare prime rib should pretty much melt in your mouth. It’s usually well-marbled and cooked with its fat cap, so its natural juices make it sooooo tender. It’s also a muscle that doesn’t get much exercise, and non-working muscle tissue is going to be much less tough than strong tissue.

A slow roast will give you uniform “doneness,” meaning you can get the whole cut to your desired temperature without overcooking the outer parts.

This roast was cooked to (roughly) 125F and continued to cook to just below 130F during its pre-carve rest.

Medium rare and delicious.

Ace-pilot-838 t1_jad2ixt wrote

Wow, that sounds amazing! Never heard of this, I've gotta try it sometime. Well done!

ptbo_skeptic OP t1_jad3teo wrote

Definitely do!

I start the roast at a high temperature (450F) to brown, then drop to 225-250F for the rest of the roasting period.

Remember to take your roast out aprox 5 degrees below your desired internal temperature. It continues to cook as it rests.

As for the jus, I cheat. I start scooping drippings a half hour before the roast is done to add to beef stock and start reducing so that I have a good strong jus by the time I carve.

Give a quick google, there are no shortage of instructions for good prime rib au jus. Just resist the temptation to try to cook it any faster/hotter.