Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

ptbo_skeptic OP t1_jaaug0m wrote

I'd be remiss if I didn't point out that those are my wife's dill pickles from her garden.

Bsmit992 t1_jabdban wrote

Love it! Weirdly enough made the same thing tonight for my wife and I. Wish I had those pickles though!

_W1T3W1N3_ t1_jachq53 wrote

That looks amazing mate— absolutely amazing. I just made a Beef Roast for the first time with a meat thermometer I’d just got and using only Salt & Pepper, and though I did it up to 145^o F like the thermometer said and I guess that’s well done, it was so good.

Viperbunny t1_jacjiyc wrote

I was going to ask because those look amazing!!

ptbo_skeptic OP t1_jack51b wrote

I shall pass that on! Thank you!

We do a lot of seasonal canning: pickles, relish, fermented hot sauces, hot pepper rings, jams, etc. Her pickle recipe came from her grandmother, and they’re garlicky and dilly in all the right ways!

Viperbunny t1_jacketz wrote

It looks it! Some pickles are vinegar forward. Others are subtle and have that rich garlic taste that plays off the mild cucumber. There was a place in my home state that makes their own pickles. I don't get them as I am estranged from my family and never go to the area anymore, and I miss it. Store bought just don't have the same taste.

teddy_vedder t1_jaaz774 wrote

I hope there is some horseradish somewhere in there

Northshoresailin t1_jaaxhab wrote

I take my sandwiches very seriously and this, my friend, is a very serious sandwich. Not only do I approve, I envy!! The bread, the meat, the jusssss!! Awesome!!

O-hmmm t1_jaat9mw wrote

I wish this could be my lunch tomorrow.

ptbo_skeptic OP t1_jaau0iu wrote

I had it for dinner last night AND for lunch today. ;)

Usual_Engineering273 t1_jabolg6 wrote

One of the simplest most delicious meals you could eat, it looks amazing

ptbo_skeptic OP t1_jacg81g wrote

Absolutely! I make it as a quick Sunday night, family meal, and then have the same thing again on Monday as leftovers when the kid has extracurriculars!

asterrdc t1_jac84qo wrote

It looks amazing, but I need to correct your spelling. It's "ciabatte" not "chiabatte".
Also, in italian a funny word for "ass-cheeks" is "chiappe" so it sounds a little bit too close 😁

ptbo_skeptic OP t1_jac8mft wrote

I don’t know how that “h” snuck in there! But after the “au jus” incident above, I consider myself politely schooled. Thanks!

LoneBoy96 t1_jacgtyu wrote

Before cooking the meat?

kuba0605 t1_jad72sb wrote

the meat is cooked, looks perfect medium rare.

conwolf253 t1_jadio14 wrote

Looks really good, but can that sandwich fit in the ju jar?

tree24hugger t1_jaat2uk wrote

That looks amazing! Question for you though... Why Ciabatta? I've never had a Ciabatta that tastes better than a French roll. Even according to Wiki, it was invented by an Italian baker in the 80s, because they didn't like that French Baguettes were popular for Italian sandwiches. I avoid it at restaurants, because it always tastes dry and bland to me. Is it different when it's freshly baked?

ptbo_skeptic OP t1_jaatyjk wrote

I find ciabatta's relatively tough crust and spongy middle a great one for jus. It absorbs the liquid without falling apart.

Also, and more importantly, it's one of the few buns I don't screw up when I bake.

tree24hugger t1_jaauntb wrote

Both good reasons, and I do love au jus! I might bake it myself and see if my opinion changes. I would definitely eat yours!

ptbo_skeptic OP t1_jaavhsh wrote

I don't mean to be pedantic -- though I know I am. But to save you grief down the road...

When referring to jus in that way, you wouldn't use the "au."

"Au jus" is a French term meaning "with juice."

As you wouldn't say "I love with juice..."

Honest. I correct you with the least amount of dickishness possible!

tree24hugger t1_jaaw7nx wrote

Ah, good to know, and no offence taken! My time in France let me know that it was not one of my strong languages. Especially when they started talking to me in English, after I attempted to order in French LOL

waitfaster t1_jabe5e4 wrote

Don't let it get ya down. I just did a search for "French Dip au jus" and the majority (if not all, didn't check) list it exactly the way you did. So it is either a common mistake or just how it's commonly termed in the US (like so many other "borrowed" terms, I mean).

I mean I am looking at recipes that are "with au jus" or "the best au jus recipe" or "homemade au jus" etc etc etc. Not saying OP is wrong - just saying, don't feel bad.

tree24hugger t1_jadt03l wrote

The important part, is that I can still enjoy it, even though I spell it wrong... and now I have to figure out which restaurant near me has it on their menu, because I am seriously craving one!!!

ptbo_skeptic OP t1_jac9b0z wrote

I’m guessing just a funny translation thing. Even here in Canada, where French is (slightly) more common, I often hear the dip referred to as “au jus.”

I speak some French, and can grammatically attest to saying “with with juice” is wonky, but I’ve been reminded by a couple of equally pedantic well-trained chef friends.

But I also didn’t mean to cause a hubbub!

Call it what you will; just don’t call me late for dinner!

ptbo_skeptic OP t1_jac9ix4 wrote

Oh, and definitely don’t feel bad! I spelled ciabatte wrong! 😂

−1

tree24hugger t1_jabc66p wrote

I didn't expect this many downvotes from a discussion about jus, versus au jus. I guess we hit a reddit nerve LOL

EDIT: I just got a warning to "Keep it fun & friendly" Either I pissed someone off, or you have. I can't imagine this much anger coming from "au jus" alone LOL

tomdwilliams t1_jablg79 wrote

Looks fantastic. I'm sure it was delicious. As a language pedant, I'm relieved you used "au jus" correctly. I know it shouldn't bother me, but it grinds my gears when people say "with au jus," "au jus sauce," or the worst, "with au jus sauce," so thank you for that.

Jumpin-Jebus t1_jac2jp8 wrote

I myself dined upon a hot-pocket, from the break-room at the office.

ormishen t1_jacc643 wrote

Looks great I am however a bit peeved about the spelling "chiabatte" instead of chiabatta. But I wouldn't be surprised if it's pronounced differently in some part of Italy.

ptbo_skeptic OP t1_jacf39z wrote

We should both be peeved! It’s actually ciabatte, plural for ciabatta. I then typo’d in an “h.”

Sgt_Pepe96 t1_jachf5p wrote

Looks nice, maybe the jus is slightly under reduced

ptbo_skeptic OP t1_jacl5tb wrote

It was pretty strong. I always reduce my stock by half or more — I like a salty, beefy jus. It might be the clear jar and low volume that makes it look lighter.

The real crime here is that there isn’t enough jus.

But once I made sure the family all had enough, I topped it up. 😉

And thanks!

stuckat5ft t1_jacxjep wrote

How did you reheat it? I’m always fearful of drying it out.

ptbo_skeptic OP t1_jad1rfm wrote

The secret is...

I don't.

I let it come to room temperature, assemble and plate, then pour the jus, fresh from a simmer/light boil the second before we're about to tuck in.

The jus warms the beef enough when you dip, if you don't take your time.

But why would you take your time with prime rib like that!

C205- t1_jae3vrl wrote

Needs more au jus.

Kotau t1_jaet8mf wrote

Question: I'm a baker "homecook" and I make bread with the intention of someday selling it. Sometimes it comes out of the oven with the crust looking exactly like this, with some spots of darkish brown.

What'd you think if a bakery sold you bread that looks like this? Popular opinion would be much appreciated.

Ace-pilot-838 t1_jac0518 wrote

Why is the meat raw?

−3

Jumpin-Jebus t1_jac2lli wrote

It is cooked, to perfection...

Ace-pilot-838 t1_jac46bf wrote

COOKED? With a pocket lighter

−7

_W1T3W1N3_ t1_jaciwkn wrote

That’s the way Prime Rib looks believe it or not. It’s not undercooked meat that’s red it’s red meat that’s cooked. This is actually an important conception. A lot of people would think, self included, that red meat is got by undercooking it, not the case. Properly cooked red meat is got by cooking it at a low temperature for a long enough time. Apparently meat is safe to eat not when it comes to temperature necessarily, but when it is held to temperature for a long enough time. So bringing steak to 145o F or pork to 165o F will cook it, so will bringing steak to 140o F slowly and holding it there longer so enough of the bacteria dies but the meat stays soft and juicy, still red but safe to eat.

Ace-pilot-838 t1_jacnbts wrote

Hmmm... What does prime rib taste like? I've cooked steak rare (like purple rare) and I still loved it but it was a bit chewy. Does this have that rare taste but because it's sort of cooked it's not chewy?

ptbo_skeptic OP t1_jacqmny wrote

Rare prime rib should pretty much melt in your mouth. It’s usually well-marbled and cooked with its fat cap, so its natural juices make it sooooo tender. It’s also a muscle that doesn’t get much exercise, and non-working muscle tissue is going to be much less tough than strong tissue.

A slow roast will give you uniform “doneness,” meaning you can get the whole cut to your desired temperature without overcooking the outer parts.

This roast was cooked to (roughly) 125F and continued to cook to just below 130F during its pre-carve rest.

Medium rare and delicious.

Ace-pilot-838 t1_jad2ixt wrote

Wow, that sounds amazing! Never heard of this, I've gotta try it sometime. Well done!

ptbo_skeptic OP t1_jad3teo wrote

Definitely do!

I start the roast at a high temperature (450F) to brown, then drop to 225-250F for the rest of the roasting period.

Remember to take your roast out aprox 5 degrees below your desired internal temperature. It continues to cook as it rests.

As for the jus, I cheat. I start scooping drippings a half hour before the roast is done to add to beef stock and start reducing so that I have a good strong jus by the time I carve.

Give a quick google, there are no shortage of instructions for good prime rib au jus. Just resist the temptation to try to cook it any faster/hotter.

_W1T3W1N3_ t1_jacsbz7 wrote

They all taste like beef, but they each have their different texture, fat content and accentuated flavors. Prime Rib is softer and more succulent than Roast Beef but similar, and Filet Mignon is softer and more succulent than Rib Eye but similar. Rib Eye is juicier and fatter than any of them. Sirloin Steak is stringier and less juicy than Rib Eye. Ribs are stringy, fatty and juicy.

All of them could be chewy if done too quickly. Yes steak (Sirloin, Rib Eye, Filet Mignon) can be cooked fast searing it 4-minutes on each side per inch or something like that, but ribs and roasts (Prime Rib, Roast Beef, Spare Ribs, Baby Back Ribs) and etc. should be cooked low and long something like 375^o F 30-minutes to sear and then 275^o F for 1:30 to 2:30 hours, even up to 6:00 hours at 200-250^o F or until 135-145^o F internal temperature.

The elongated cooking time actually goes from a rubbery swelled chewy meat to at some point it breaks the meat fibers down and they become soft and succulent.

I have not tried all this yet I am just getting started cooking. I’ve only made 1 Beef Roast so far it was amazing. The biggest thing is to invest in an oven safe meat thermometer that you can stick in the meat. And what I do is rather than keep the meat in the fridge and let it go rancid or in the freezer which actually is reasonably fine I’ve resolved to have a roast or something on the day I go shopping. That way I can pick out the best meat and it needs to reach room temperature anyway before cooking so I prepare it right away getting home and it was f—ing amazing. The meat can then be frozen and sliced for quick meals. And if you factor in the actual meal cost by dividing its total cost by the number of meals you can get $2.50-$6.00 meals that will defeat any fast food restaurant to smithereens.

Garviel_Loken95 t1_jac9rii wrote

It's not raw it's medium rare, it's carved off of a bigger roast so most of the surface area you see on slices are this colour