Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Montypmsm t1_isl7o92 wrote

Go into r/NewMexico and post that. Watch them tear you to shreds, you coward.

Objective_Lion196 t1_isl8461 wrote

lmao what am I supposed to be scared of downvotes? it's the truth and you know it, since mexican food has gotten popular yt americans have been trying to scoop up everything mexican by rebranding it as "southwestern". tExas RaNch wAtEr is another clear example

Montypmsm t1_isl8yyr wrote

Good, then there’s nothing to fear, so do it. All hat, no cattle is all you’ve been up to this point.

Objective_Lion196 t1_ism017n wrote

I've got nothing to prove if you want the truth look at the ingredients and then open up a history book chief. All hat no cattle, that's a good one reminds me of the farmers in the Midwest just add cowboy boots on there for good measure

Montypmsm t1_ismbzp4 wrote

It’s a Texan saying depicting someone who dresses like a grandiose cowboy (10 gallon hat) but has no knowledge, experience, or responsibility of being a cowboy.

I’ll share some knowledge though. New Mexican cuisine is absolutely inspired by Mexican cuisine. It’s also inspired by native cuisine (both pre and post reservations) and settlers. In the case of adovada, it is seasoned with New Mexican red chile, made from New Mexican peppers cultivated near Santa Fe by the Pueblos centuries ago. Adobada on the other hand is made from adobo sauce (which is a Spanish sauce by origin of technique) and usually is made with dried guajillos and other peppers. The flavor profile is smokier and less bright and sweet for adobo. As I’ve already said, the cooking method is also different: adovada is braised while adobada is seared. Adovada isn’t always marinated either, unlike adobada.

All to say, yes, Mexican food is similar to New Mexican food. But because there are deviations from ingredients, techniques, and different influences, it’s not the same. I wouldn’t call Tex-mex like queso smothered bbq brisket tacos Mexican food and I certainly wouldn’t call adovada the same thing as adobada because they don’t taste the same.

Objective_Lion196 t1_ismh8zy wrote

Marinating meat in Chile sauce is a prehispánic technique, maybe the Spanish added the vinegar but definitely not the technique of marinating meat.

Sigh.... New Mexico peppers are from Mexico though the use of peppers was not as big in that area of the Americas. And changing the cooking method is not that big of a deal which is why I mentioned the ingredients.

It's not just based on Mexican food it literally is Mexican food made by people who were Mexican at the time in what was considered Mexico. My family is Texan and we wouldn't call queso covered anything texmex. Besides that anything in a tortilla is a taco and tacos come from?

Montypmsm t1_ismjuu0 wrote

New Mexican Chiles and Guajillo chiles are both cultivars of the same chile, you’re right there. But broccoli, mustard greens, kale, brussel sprouts, and cauliflower are all cultivars of the same plant too, which I think illustrates just how different and distinguished cultivars can be. New Mexican chiles were cultivated in modern day New Mexico, not Mexico. They’re a cornerstone of New Mexican cuisine and not Mexican cuisine.

Find me a few traditional places in Mexico serving tacos like they have in Torchy’s or Velvet taco and I’ll gladly concede every taco is Mexican food. Sure, the tortilla is Central American in origin, but sticking a hickory smoked jalapeño and cheddar sausage in it isn’t. Cajun food isn’t French just because it’s heavily influenced by French cuisine. Italians will tell you gratuitous foreign pizzas are not Italian simply because they drew inspiration from Italian food. What makes Mexico so special that it can claim all derivative cultures as it’s own while denying that it itself is a derivative culture?

Anyways, I’m done feeding the troll. I think I’ve conclusively proven the distinction, not that it needed to be done, since it’s fairly obvious for anyone who’s experienced the cultures and foods.