You must log in or register to comment.

jraps26 t1_isfxrn5 wrote

*Huevos.

PuddnheadAZ OP t1_isfxxbd wrote

Oh my god, Iā€™m so embarrassed. šŸ˜³

RyanCooper101 t1_isfzpjy wrote

*adobada

TheLadyEve t1_ism3ifb wrote

In New Mexico I've seen it spelled the way OP spells it, but it's different from Mexican adobada.

I guess some of the commenters in here are less familiar with New Mexico cuisine, it's kind of its own thing. Google adovada and you'll see.

[deleted] t1_ish7glc wrote

[deleted]

−42

TwinsiesBlue t1_ishbl5q wrote

V labiodental y B labial

s3si1u t1_isi4zsk wrote

They are nowhere near interchangeable. To a Spanish speaker they don't even sound similar.

ownlife909 t1_isgkv0p wrote

Itā€™s adovada if itā€™s the New Mexican style of the recipe: https://www.seriouseats.com/carne-adovada-adobada-chili-braised-pork-recipe

−55

RyanCooper101 t1_isihies wrote

I see, so the confusion comes from the dish having a name very closely resembling the process applied to meat.

Adovada is the name of a dish and Adobada comes from Adobar which is the verb for applying Adobo to a meat.

Ya veo, asi que la raƭz de este malentendido surge del nombre de un plato , el qual es casi idƩntico al nombre del proceso que se ha aplicado a dicho plato.

Adovada siendo el nombre de un plato especĆ­fico y adobada siendo la palabra que usamos para referirnos a una carne que ha recibido adobo.

ownlife909 t1_isjpj2t wrote

Exactly, thatā€™s a very clear way of explaining the difference. Iā€™m not sure which OP was referring to (and honestly that doesnā€™t look like carne adovada, which is usually/always chunks of meat), but itā€™s not inherently incorrect.

PuddnheadAZ OP t1_iskh4l5 wrote

The dish. I cook and eat it in chunks mostly. For this dish I ā€œpulledā€ it a bit.

Iwcwcwcool t1_isieyf8 wrote

Yup. Made differently. I'd say both are correct depending on what style.

longjeep2005 t1_ish8z7x wrote

As a New Mexican, Iā€™ve always seen it spelled ā€œAdovada.ā€ Donā€™t understand the downvotes

−26

FartsMalarts t1_ishd7cy wrote

I think New Mexico is the only area that spells it that way, I've lived in southern CA and southern AZ (and have visited Mexico), and only saw it spelled "adobada." It was weird seeing the different spelling when I visited New Mexico even though the pronunciation is essentially the same.

oscarish t1_isizhdz wrote

NM is it's own universe. When I lived there, there were small villages where people still spoke variants of Castilian Spanish that had been thought to have been dead for hundreds of years. Nope! Not the case in NM.

PuddnheadAZ OP t1_isg012c wrote

Now, that Iā€™ve seen both ways, and I think the ā€œvā€ is possibly more common.

−110

s3si1u t1_isi53o9 wrote

It's totally not. It's not about common vs. uncommon. Adovada is just straight up wrong. If you've seen it spelled like this, don't eat at that place.

lmrath t1_isjcp6y wrote

Itā€™s a phonetics thing. We say the b as a v but itā€™s supposed to be spelled with a b. So if you were to say this out loud, you want ā€œadovadaā€ but spelling should be ā€œadobadaā€ especially since youā€™re using adobo (not adovo)

Historicmetal t1_isgyikm wrote

Wow so many downvotes for speaking the truth. I lived in New Mexico for years, itā€™s spelled adovada. These people are morons

−55

ohhhshtbtch t1_isi4040 wrote

"where I'm from, we spell it wrong! So despite us being wrong, shut up!"

Reminds me of some random food show I saw forever ago Woman: pronounces Spanish word with Spanish accent. British dude: stop being so pretentious by saying it how it's supposed to be pronounced! We're in England! Woman: well, I'm (whatever latin ethnicity). That's how WE pronounce it, because that's how it's pronounced. British dude: shuts up because he's not THAT stupid.

Historicmetal t1_isigsdy wrote

Itā€™s spelled adovada in New Mexico. Believe it or not my friend, there are lots of people in New Mexico who speak Spanish. Did you know words and spellings vary from place to place?

Reminds me of a reality show I saw where this nerdy autistic guy boasts about how smart he is and how he knows all the PokƩmon and everyone is just laughing at him.

−11

StrongeLeeroy t1_isjddwq wrote

Spanish has an official language authority, the R.A.E., people do not get to spell words differently, there is a single source of truth that receives revisions over time but this is just not up for discussion. The spelling with a v is wrong.

DanelleDee t1_isjgxvz wrote

Exactly! I read a book on etymology called "The Meaning of Everything." I learned that in English it is common to borrow words from other languages and spell them with Anglo-Saxon vowels and misspellings. If these are used often enough, they become a part of the English language. (For example: a Chinese* word for a tomato based condiment is adopted and corrupted into "Catsup," which eventually became "ketchup.") The oxford English dictionary keeps track but there is no one who sets rules on what is incorporated into the language. It's fluid. It changes a lot over time.

So you might be able to convince me that "adovada" is a word in English. But Spanish (and French,) are regulated. There is a board that standardizes the language and makes rulings on new words. Mistakes are not incorporated into the language. People still use "slang,' but it is always understood to be incorrect and doesn't change the original meaning of the word over time. Interestingly, this means French has only a small fraction of the number of words that English has, and older French texts are much more comprehensible to a modern reader than English texts.

*Sorry, I don't know which dialect.

Historicmetal t1_isk58kz wrote

Ok, I didnā€™t know about the RAE and donā€™t speak Spanish. But this item is called adovada and spelled adovada, at least in the United States, whether you like it or not.

Jeheh t1_ishn4oj wrote

Youā€™ve offended all the halapeƱos.

Whatupyouguinea t1_isj02lr wrote

I understand.. i served with a lot of Hispanic people and have them on Facebook. When I was like 18-19 I was like wtf is ā€œjajajajaā€ šŸ¤¦šŸ»ā€ā™‚ļøšŸ¤£

DanelleDee t1_isjf01s wrote

I thought for a second there I'd been making a fool of myself for years, whew

crzyruckingbirddude t1_isht711 wrote

She was clearly going for the 'H' sound while staying true to Spanish spelling.

−6

AiladeC t1_isiqury wrote

But the H in 'huevos' is silent...

RGBarrios t1_isithq5 wrote

Nah, OP just clicked the wrong key, the ā€œjā€ is just at the right of the ā€œhā€

MrsClaireUnderwood t1_isgp1a3 wrote

yes, yes, and it's not pronounced with the H sound, which OP might think it is based on this misspelling. 'oo eh vos', not 'hway vos'

I guess the people down voting me don't speak spanish lol

−12

Elbiotcho t1_ish4p6v wrote

My pet peeve is people pronouncing the hard G in guacamole

−1

kingpcgeek t1_isheufv wrote

In English itā€™s pronounced with a hard G in Spanish itā€™s not. Just like in English itā€™s Mexico and in Spanish itā€™s Meh hee co.

phuzzy1deep t1_isgg29o wrote

As a Mexican I am offended by the title. /s

Matingas t1_ishegrc wrote

Y no por el rabano arriba de los frijoles?

Los Mexas no se ofender por mucho, pero por la comida si.

phuzzy1deep t1_ishlgbp wrote

Carnal, ese pinche rĆ”bano se come con un limĆ³n sito y salesita, compa.

karmandreyah t1_ishsg3n wrote

Where ya from, OP? Zero disrespect, as a Mexican living in SoCal, our huevos rancheros aren't the same, so I'd love to know the region (I just like this type of info, lol)-- LOVE the look of it though!

PuddnheadAZ OP t1_ishvg8b wrote

Grew up in AZ. Traveled extensively and lived for a bit in Mexico. Had many varieties of Huevos Rancheros. This is what I had on hand.

karmandreyah t1_ishw632 wrote

Awesome! I'm used to the tomato+ base w eggs cooked on top. And cheeeeese, bc im fluffy and I love me. šŸ˜ I bet it was delicious though; thanks for the answer!

PuddnheadAZ OP t1_ishxxql wrote

Yeah, Iā€™ve had them in CA like your saying. Iā€™ve had basically salsa based sauce, enchilada type sauce, even just pico de gallo on top. Honestly, I donā€™t think Iā€™ve ever met a huevos rancheros I didnā€™t like.

karmandreyah t1_ishy5n4 wrote

Lol, same!

Unless it's not got cheese or spice. šŸ˜‰

saltyloempia t1_isgykhy wrote

You mean huevos rancheros con carne adobada m

MadHuarache t1_isha2rs wrote

And even if so, those are so far from being huevos rancheros.

saltyloempia t1_isirql7 wrote

I'm Spanish, so idek what huevos rancheros look like šŸ˜…

Montypmsm t1_isis7y9 wrote

In much of the southwest US (New Mexico, Arizona) adovada is a real and distinct thing. Adobada is usually marinated and seared while adovada is braised. Adovada is always pork while Iā€™ve seen other meats used for adobada.

−3

saltyloempia t1_isisf7i wrote

Never seen it spelled with a V

Montypmsm t1_isj4zp0 wrote

Thatā€™s because theyā€™re different dishes. Adobada is much more widespread.

Adovada originated in New Mexico. Itā€™s pork braised in New Mexican red chile. Adobada is from Mexico and is meat marinated in adobo and seared. You can tell this is adovada because the meat shredded, which happens from braising and not searing.

−3

saltyloempia t1_isj55pb wrote

I meant as a Spaniard, I've never heard the word adovada spelled with a V.

It must be a specific word from MĆ©xico

Montypmsm t1_isj5lr2 wrote

Ah yeah. Could be that. Thereā€™s pockets of New Mexico that still have 1500s Spanish accents too, as they were relatively isolated from the rest of the Spanish speaking world. Not sure if it came from that or was something new. Either way, itā€™s delicious!

Objective_Lion196 t1_isl554o wrote

stop trying to act like the food you eat in new mexico/arizona is a whole different thing. It all comes from Mexico

Montypmsm t1_isl6t5j wrote

If my grandmother had wheels, she would have been a bike.

Objective_Lion196 t1_isl7e68 wrote

if you had culture you would have your own food traditions instead of trying to rebrand one

Montypmsm t1_isl7o92 wrote

Go into r/NewMexico and post that. Watch them tear you to shreds, you coward.

Objective_Lion196 t1_isl8461 wrote

lmao what am I supposed to be scared of downvotes? it's the truth and you know it, since mexican food has gotten popular yt americans have been trying to scoop up everything mexican by rebranding it as "southwestern". tExas RaNch wAtEr is another clear example

Montypmsm t1_isl8yyr wrote

Good, then thereā€™s nothing to fear, so do it. All hat, no cattle is all youā€™ve been up to this point.

Objective_Lion196 t1_ism017n wrote

I've got nothing to prove if you want the truth look at the ingredients and then open up a history book chief. All hat no cattle, that's a good one reminds me of the farmers in the Midwest just add cowboy boots on there for good measure

Montypmsm t1_ismbzp4 wrote

Itā€™s a Texan saying depicting someone who dresses like a grandiose cowboy (10 gallon hat) but has no knowledge, experience, or responsibility of being a cowboy.

Iā€™ll share some knowledge though. New Mexican cuisine is absolutely inspired by Mexican cuisine. Itā€™s also inspired by native cuisine (both pre and post reservations) and settlers. In the case of adovada, it is seasoned with New Mexican red chile, made from New Mexican peppers cultivated near Santa Fe by the Pueblos centuries ago. Adobada on the other hand is made from adobo sauce (which is a Spanish sauce by origin of technique) and usually is made with dried guajillos and other peppers. The flavor profile is smokier and less bright and sweet for adobo. As Iā€™ve already said, the cooking method is also different: adovada is braised while adobada is seared. Adovada isnā€™t always marinated either, unlike adobada.

All to say, yes, Mexican food is similar to New Mexican food. But because there are deviations from ingredients, techniques, and different influences, itā€™s not the same. I wouldnā€™t call Tex-mex like queso smothered bbq brisket tacos Mexican food and I certainly wouldnā€™t call adovada the same thing as adobada because they donā€™t taste the same.

Objective_Lion196 t1_ismh8zy wrote

Marinating meat in Chile sauce is a prehispƔnic technique, maybe the Spanish added the vinegar but definitely not the technique of marinating meat.

Sigh.... New Mexico peppers are from Mexico though the use of peppers was not as big in that area of the Americas. And changing the cooking method is not that big of a deal which is why I mentioned the ingredients.

It's not just based on Mexican food it literally is Mexican food made by people who were Mexican at the time in what was considered Mexico. My family is Texan and we wouldn't call queso covered anything texmex. Besides that anything in a tortilla is a taco and tacos come from?

Montypmsm t1_ismjuu0 wrote

New Mexican Chiles and Guajillo chiles are both cultivars of the same chile, youā€™re right there. But broccoli, mustard greens, kale, brussel sprouts, and cauliflower are all cultivars of the same plant too, which I think illustrates just how different and distinguished cultivars can be. New Mexican chiles were cultivated in modern day New Mexico, not Mexico. Theyā€™re a cornerstone of New Mexican cuisine and not Mexican cuisine.

Find me a few traditional places in Mexico serving tacos like they have in Torchyā€™s or Velvet taco and Iā€™ll gladly concede every taco is Mexican food. Sure, the tortilla is Central American in origin, but sticking a hickory smoked jalapeƱo and cheddar sausage in it isnā€™t. Cajun food isnā€™t French just because itā€™s heavily influenced by French cuisine. Italians will tell you gratuitous foreign pizzas are not Italian simply because they drew inspiration from Italian food. What makes Mexico so special that it can claim all derivative cultures as itā€™s own while denying that it itself is a derivative culture?

Anyways, Iā€™m done feeding the troll. I think Iā€™ve conclusively proven the distinction, not that it needed to be done, since itā€™s fairly obvious for anyone whoā€™s experienced the cultures and foods.

puentepe t1_ish06wp wrote

Wtf did I just read r/titlegore

s3si1u t1_isi5dqf wrote

This entire post makes cringe...the spelling, the seemingly microwaved tortillas, the radish on top of the beans...and that doesn't look like any adobada I've ever had.

GuidanceMore7011 t1_isg1iti wrote

Looks awesome! I would eat the hell out of these

PoodleMama329 t1_ish9co5 wrote

Iā€™m pregnant and now craving this delicious looking pork. Literally looking up recipes to make it tomorrow. šŸ™ƒ

Reeeeallly t1_isj4m2k wrote

I had a friend who was going to a Halloween party dressed in nothing but a cowboy hat, belt and boots. ā€œWhat is that supposed to be?ā€

ā€œHuevos Rancheros.ā€

kruspel t1_isjem0s wrote

Y el aguacate? Y el limĆ³n?

PuddnheadAZ OP t1_isjj42g wrote

Se me acabĆ³ anteayer cuando hice los nachos.

Lb147 t1_isgoqs7 wrote

Yum!

Prestigious-Ad-6808 t1_isgw99a wrote

Is this breakfast? Always thought Mexican breakfasts are among the best in the world.

PabloJamie t1_ishjx87 wrote

I donā€™t know what that is but I want it

naran_j t1_ishrsxs wrote

My kind of food!

buttheyrealltaken t1_ishrt7o wrote

Looks delicious! I love your towel - can you share where you got it? Not the point, I know ;)

Black-Maicoh t1_isil1z3 wrote

... With the amount of Mexican food I make, why have I not thought about all the ways they make eggs?

I have much to think about.

noobuser63 t1_isj7ttg wrote

Give huevos motuleƱos a try. Itā€™s similar to rancheros, but the salsa has an habanero, and the top is sprinkled with ham and peas. Youā€™d think it would be super spicy, but the habanero is cooked whole in the salsa, so you get a great flavor without overwhelming heat. The lady who taught me to make them said the habanero ā€˜took a walkā€™ through the salsa.

oscarish t1_isizmz6 wrote

Easily my favourite breakfast when I lived in NM! Thanks for the reminder. I used to love to fill a sopapilla with Carne Adovada and drizzle it with honey. šŸ¤¤

PuddnheadAZ OP t1_isjjguu wrote

Stuffed sopapillas have a special place in my heart.

rmttw t1_isj9q5c wrote

I thought this was going to be some vegan avocado version of carne asada. It looks delicious!

1000asses t1_isjcsxu wrote

Huevos Rancheros with Carne Adobada

SanMastr1729 t1_isjfjk6 wrote

It looks delicious and the plating is amazing. But its ā€œhuevosā€ and ā€œadobadaā€ with a b

CuteWolves t1_isjtvso wrote

Those beans look delicious. Do you happen to have a recipe for them?

PuddnheadAZ OP t1_isjxem6 wrote

I use a instaPot. I fry up a medium-small white onion, few garlic cloves and some diced chile (fresh roasted is best). Add 2lbs sorted and rinsed beans, with water about three inches over the level of the beans (water salted to taste - Iā€™m gonna get flack for the salted comment, but it really is better). Throw in a sachet of approx 1 Tablespoon oregano, 1 teaspoon thyme, 1 Tablespoon whole pepper corns, and 2 basil leafs. Pressure cook for about 48 minutes for super creamy beans. Those I eat some that way, and refry some as well. For the refry, itā€™s just melt up some fat (say 3 Tablespoons of bacon grease is good) then throw about 2 cups of those beans in a pan with a little bit of the liquid and heat and mash. Add more bean liquid if you want them runnier, or cook longer if you want them thicker. Throw a fistful of your favorite melty cheese in when you have the consistency you like (always go slightly runnier than you want the end product to be). Melt the cheese, season to taste, and youā€™re done. The instaPot isnā€™t necessary of course, it just takes a lot longer without it. Soaking beans overnight speeds the process.

One-global-foodie t1_isl266y wrote

You are all too funny with the Jā€™s and Hā€™s. Someone whoā€™s not American or Americanized will not get these jokes.

robhanz t1_isgmzg3 wrote

I WOULD STRAIGHT UP MURDER SOMEONE FOR SOME CARNE ADOVADA RIGHT NOW.

hdniki t1_ishkqbo wrote

My mouth is watering

Salary_Mediocre t1_ishncki wrote

Looks awesome, i could take some lessons from this one haha

TheRegular-Throwaway t1_isk3osv wrote

I hate when people put raw radish on food for the sake of a photo.

One-global-foodie t1_isl1s17 wrote

Canā€™t you edit this or post to another subreddit so people Googling can get to it.

darkangel657 t1_isibzbs wrote

Are those flower tortillas? Kinda hard to tell.

nacidalibre t1_isjmlqb wrote

I hope itā€™s not made of flowers

darkangel657 t1_isjrngh wrote

Flour* lol just realized my mistake. Even after studying English for 20 years I still make mistakes