Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

One-Pride-4360 t1_iy2kvqe wrote

Is that minced beef? Bro you can’t leave that pink wtf

TogaPower t1_iy45e8o wrote

Yeah you can. How likely do you exactly think you are to get sick from this? People severely overestimate the likelihood of illness from some medium rare/medium ground beef. Absolutely every restaurant will ask you how you want your burger cooked and this would quickly die out as a practice if it was making a substantial impact.

One-Pride-4360 t1_iy48na3 wrote

It’s a law in my country that all beef burgers must be cooked well done, they wouldn’t have that for no reason

−1

TogaPower t1_iy49wfz wrote

Ohhhh I forgot that if something is a law it must always be for a rational and perfectly good reason! Anyway, the risk is so ridiculously low of getting a serious illness from a non well done burger that I’ll gladly decide for myself lol

−3

One-Pride-4360 t1_iy4ry0h wrote

Do whatever you want idgaf don’t come crying to Reddit when u get salmonella and shit yourself

−3

TogaPower t1_iy4sfiv wrote

Never gotten it all my life despite medium rare burgers and even if it did, Reddit is the last place I’d come to complain 😂

dedicated-pedestrian t1_iy6dyvr wrote

OK but seriously you don't get salmonella from beef burgers, that's e. Coli.

If you're gonna throw shade at least be accurate to food safety standards

MyFace_UrAss_LetsGo t1_iy3jzdi wrote

The restaurant I work at sells burgers medium by default. The patties aren’t freshly minced, either. Not saying it’s right or wrong but I’d expect someone to have gotten sick and complained in the three years I’ve worked there.

−2

Martin8412 t1_iy3cx88 wrote

And yet every non-chain restaurant here in Spain will ask you how you want your burger cooked. I've had tons of medium cooked burgers. It's delicious. Never once had a problem.

−9

fourth_box t1_iy2q293 wrote

And this is where you learn that not everyone has the same taste preferences. There are a lot of people who don't like well done.

−36

zelkrab t1_iy2r1zr wrote

Uh no, this is where you learn the difference between fresh ground and not.

Preference has nothing to do with it if it isn’t fresh.

Mk1Racer25 t1_iy2z4oq wrote

If you're buying ground meat from places that you have to cook it to death to make it safe to eat, you're buying it from the wrong places.

−18

AnyLeave3611 t1_iy30pz6 wrote

No. Meat, like beef, has dangerous bacteria on its surface. Thats why eating raw beef is dangerous but eating rare beef is not.

When you grind meat, like when making a patty like in OP's pic, you essentially push those bacterias into the meat. At this point, just cooking the surface of the beef is no longer sufficient to safely consume it.

dedicated-pedestrian t1_iy6ef21 wrote

Well, fresh ground/minced beef at least hasn't had time for that bacteria to multiply within the portion. The danger isn't from the bacteria itself, but from the byproducts of its continued presence and propagation.

There is, I suppose, the option of shaving off the edges of the cut of meat and grinding the interior for absolute maximum safety.

Excludos t1_iy2s9p6 wrote

Nothing to do with taste preference. Pink pre-prepared minced meat can make you really sick

laughingmeeses t1_iy34elf wrote

OP never said it was prepackaged.

Excludos t1_iy34u4j wrote

Ain't nobody have time to mince their own meat, especially as it's more expensive too

Unless stated otherwise, I'm going to take the leap to presume it's prepackaged

Mk1Racer25 t1_iy3ttkz wrote

You seem to make a lot of assumptions, many of which are incorrect

laughingmeeses t1_iy34y4s wrote

I do it all the time. It's actually really cheap because you can use the odd cuts that butchers sell really cheap.