Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Heyhihello04 t1_j5f7i4e wrote

Why wouldn't it be?

ohbrubuh t1_j5f8uj7 wrote

Most sausage grave is made with a very light roux. I prefer mine like this, when you add a little color to it. Different strokes…

amboandy t1_j5fi9qs wrote

I'm not a fan of the colour of this gravy but heck, how much colour are you gonna be able to get out of a sausage gravy.

ohbrubuh t1_j5g6wcf wrote

This is dark by sausage gravy standards. Most of the time it looks like wallpaper paste 😂. One of those dishes that you just don’t eat with your eyes. But it tastes so good

amboandy t1_j5gcffw wrote

That's what I do with most foods that are popular in their home nation. Just fucking eat it, x-million people can't be wrong.

AnaTheMuse t1_j5fb8p5 wrote

It's typically white gravy for breakfast dishes. I was just wondering.

Heyhihello04 t1_j5feo5h wrote

I think it's mostly brown because OP probably cooked the sausage in the pan first, then added the flour and other ingredients to the same pan and that's how it got that color, which is my preferred way.

blutob78 t1_j5fovj7 wrote

This is exactly why. I’m sure extra sausage as well. Very different from commercial (high volume manufacturers) or restaurants when food costs play a factor. Amount of sausage and cooking process (utilizing the sausage grease- not discarding) to make your pale or blond roux and essentially making a béchamel after adding the milk. This looks solid and delicious! Remember lots of black pepper!

Cheers!