Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Dry_Breadfruit_7113 t1_j4xkqmy wrote

That looks so good. What recipe do you use?

NightsWatch23 OP t1_j4xm211 wrote

I used the recipe from youtube. Here it is.

1. For the Tangzhong, mix 40g bread flour with 200g water in a saute pan. Turn on medium heat and keep stirring until mixture thickens to a paste.

2. Refrigerate for 6 hours. Bring out to room temperature 1 hour before use.

3. Add bread flour, sugar, salt, dry yeast, powdered milk to a mixing bowl and mix gently with dough hook attachment.

4. At low speed, mix in milk and egg and Tangzhong so that no flour is visible.

5. Add in room temperature unsalted butter and mix at low speed.

6. Slowly turn up the speed to high and mix until all dough sticks together.

7. Take the dough and fold it around and underneath itself shaping a smooth ball. Place dough in a bowl, cover with plastic wrap, and let it rest for 40 minutes to an hour.

8. Test the dough by poking your finger down into the middle. If the dough does not spring back, it is ready.

9. Divide the dough into 6 equal parts (by weight). Take one piece of dough and fold it over itself. Turn it 90 degrees, slap it on table and fold it over itself again. Using both hands, mold the dough into a ball. Repeat with rest of dough. Cover with plastic wrap and let it rest for 15 minutes.

10. Roll each ball of dough out flat. Fold flatten dough using thirds. Turn 90 degrees, and roll dough into a roll, pinching it together at the seam. Place 3 molded dough into a baking pan and let it rest for 30 minutes, letting it rise.

11. Brush with egg wash and bake in the oven, preheated to 355°F for 25-30 minutes.

Ingredients:

Tangzhong: 40g bread flour and 200g water

580g bread flour, 60g sugar, 12g salt, 10g dry yeast, 10g dry milk, 260g milk, 50g egg, Tangzhong, 50g room temperature of unsalted butter

> egg wash (1 egg yolk + milk)

Ok_Wolverine_4832 t1_j4ys16i wrote

Oh my god I’m planning to make this type of bread too. May I ask did you have any trouble during making this bread ?

NightsWatch23 OP t1_j4ysoh6 wrote

Hi, I did have some trouble with the baking time. I did 330F for 40mins (oven with fan). And I used ceramic loaf pan (conducts heat slower than glass and metal loaf pans). My fitst and second time of making this, my end product has a raw dough thats why I have to adjust the baking time and temp.

Ok_Wolverine_4832 t1_j4yucfk wrote

Did you add powdered milk ? I don’t have any powdered milk so I don’t know if I can just skip this part or do I have to replace powdered milk with something else. I’m scared if I don’t add powdered milk it will change the texture of the dough.

NightsWatch23 OP t1_j4ywhsu wrote

I didnt add any powder milk and the result is still amazing 😊. Just make sure you use bread flour😊

bethemanwithaplan t1_j4z0rkx wrote

You can get it at most big groceries in the USA as dry milk, usually nonfat. They make buttermilk powder and other types too.

bethemanwithaplan t1_j4z0lj1 wrote

When I make milk bread I get better results with metal pans over ceramic or glass, just my experience

NightsWatch23 OP t1_j4z1udy wrote

Nice! I am planning to buy the metal ones and use it for the bread next time 😊

_W1T3W1N3_ t1_j5164nq wrote

Cooking time can vary wildly for the size of oven, position in oven, heat conductivity of pan, air flow in oven, preheating time of oven, and even the air pressure, air humidity, characteristics of the flour and particular density, amount or wetness of dough, especially with bread, which is why one must always learn to use the senses and become accustomed to understand where everything is in the process and how it needs to be adjusted to achieve the intended results.

NightsWatch23 OP t1_j516az5 wrote

THIS! Thanks for this info! Thats why its important to learn the science/mechanics behind baking in general to be successful at it.

Baconslams t1_j4ysnv9 wrote

Hehe I won’t mention the name but did you buy his book?