Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Hmmletmec t1_jeao11f wrote

4 in 1 when you add AR-15 'shield'

It's just as effective in that capacity as the others.

Klepto666 t1_jec4n5o wrote

If you mean hiding under a desk to deflect a 5.56 round fired from 500+ yards away, then yes you are absolutely correct, when trying to compare it to "duck and cover."

It was never meant to be used in the sense of "Oh my god they're dropping a nuke on my town, let me hide under my desk and I'll be safe from a nuke!" I'm sure there were some people who wanted to stick their heads in the sand and believe it'd save them from a ground zero nuclear blast just so they wouldn't be petrified with fear... but that was never the purpose.

It was for outside that range, where a blast would still shatter windows and destabilize structures but not vaporize you or put you in the vicinity of fallout. And even then it was only minor protection. But that's SOME vs NONE. And you'd be hard pressed to find someone who says "Nah I'll take the 0% chance of surviving over 25%."

Same goes for natural disasters. The desk is not the sole magical protection, it's about other stuff falling on you that it can deflect or help bear the weight of.

Double_Distribution8 t1_jed8hdm wrote

Yep, and anything they could do to dissuade students from staring out the glass windows at the bright lights in the sky is a good thing.

I think that lesson may have been mostly learned from the Halifax explosion where a ton of townsfolk died when the ship exploded in the harbor, and the rest of the folks who survived the blast went blind from watching the explosion from their windows. Flying broken glass does terrible things to eyeballs.

Zirenth t1_jedyrjm wrote

If a nuke is going off then I’ll take that 0% chance over 25% chance.

linux1970 t1_jebzokk wrote

"more effective at protecting the nation's children than the GOP"

GhoulArtist t1_jedkv82 wrote

At this point I think they are just straight up cool with children getting murdered every few weeks or so. Hell, they seem to be encouraging it. In my state of NC today they passed a bill that makes it so you can buy automatic weapons at guns shows and not have to register it (some other dumb states have this too). It also happened to coincide with another school shooting today....

ContemptAndHumble t1_jees17k wrote

Haven’t you heard. We can’t stop shootings. Bans don’t work. All we can do to protect our children is ban books and viscously marginalize communities of people. What else do you think we could possibly do? /s

PagingDrHuman t1_jeat0df wrote

Those desks aren't rated to deflect bullets. I believe companies have started offering bullet resistant classroom furniture, but they're even more expensive than quality classroom furniture. (Desks that can withstand years of abuse with negligible maintain are actually expensive). Honestly it's sad

−13

okram2k t1_jeb35jr wrote

they also aren't rated for any of the other things. That's the point.