Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

that_yeg_guy t1_jec7pve wrote

Catching attention and getting business are two VERY different things.

The crazy drunk guy yelling at his invisible demons on the train catches my attention. But I’m not going to hire him for anything.

jizzlevania t1_jed3id1 wrote

My stepdad owned his own auto shop in a small town. A guy in town was starting his own business publishing a free countertop periodical that makes its money through local advertisements. My stepdad agreed to advertise with him on the condition he print the ad upside down. After no one came into the shop and mentioned the ad after a few months or so, he canceled the ad space.

He wasn't sure if maybe it being upside down turned people off, but regulars never mentioned it which meant he knew his target demographic didn't read the publication. Many people who are regulars at shops looooove jib jabbing with their mechanic

SynisterJeff t1_jeesbfp wrote

They're an oil company at some kind of convention. They are trying to catch the attention of multi million/billion dollar businesses to buy their machinery, and it seems to me those kinds of people like stupid things and/or make stupid decisions, so seems pretty on point to me to attract them haha