Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

A2N2T t1_j6vqrai wrote

Why do people keep sharing the verge? terrible tech publication

compaqdeskpro t1_j6yj9al wrote

Because they regurgitate paid content (like WSJ) and apply their spin to it. If you can read between the lines and the trash headlines you may learn something.

one_hyun t1_j6vve31 wrote

Because people read it and actually discuss it.

−19

A2N2T t1_j6vvrmk wrote

Really?! They can't even build a simple gaming PC.

That'd be like reading a vegetarian magazine written by Burger King.

−9

needlesfox OP t1_j6vzs40 wrote

This is kind of a silly analogy. Gaming PCs, including prebuilts, custom, and laptops, are a $40 billion dollar a year business worldwide. Google alone makes that two months, Apple in less than that. The smartphone market is 10 times bigger than all of PC gaming. It’s like seeing someone fail a trig test (in, to be fair, a pretty embarrassing way), and concluding that they literally know nothing about all of math. Yes, I’m aware I’m feeding the troll. I’m bad at letting bad arguments lie

−12

A2N2T t1_j6vzxsx wrote

Ummmm i dont think you understood what i mean...the verge released a step by step guide on how to build a PC on youtube.

Needless to say, after watching that video, i will not be taking any tech advice from them.

Its so bad, it makes me wonder who approved the release of the video.

needlesfox OP t1_j6w02lh wrote

Yeah, I’m familiar with the lore. If you’re curious about how the video got made, why don’t you watch the Linus Tech Tips video explaining exactly that?

https://youtu.be/QKzmYsySGFQ

−14

A2N2T t1_j6w0a2o wrote

So how could you possibly trust a tech publication whos higher ups clearly have no problem releasing a how to build a pc guide that would literally destroy most of your components if you followed it?

It brings all their articles/opinions into a bad light...and frankly its laughable that they didnt address it.

A2N2T t1_j6w4ggr wrote

I did watch it, I also watched non-shill channels reacting to it...all channels I trust for tech news and builds, and they were laughing at how idiotically confident the video was in its poor advice, and instruction.

You must work for them if you refer to their video as "lore"

A2N2T t1_j6w4rr5 wrote

And please bear in mind, im talking about the publication releasing the video, insisting it be filmed the way it was and finding no problems with the finished product.

It says nothing to the person building it, and how they couldn't stand up for themselves and ended up needing to damage control their reputation because of it (the Linus vid still doesn't address some glaring pieces of advice too)

Im talking about just The Verge. Stefan was just a wet towel at the time, when he should've been a rock.