Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Remote_Engine t1_jdws11d wrote

Counterpoint: It is exceptional, this is nitpicking of sorts? Users don’t pay for it, and the long term data trends over time are outstanding. It’s not a coach or professional training software, and once that is internalized, I think you’ll better understand that what’s being voiced here is the assumption that it should be. It can be inconsistent in some of the conclusions it draws, but it’s exceptional for free software (and the complaints are irrelevant if you’re already drafting your own training plans, and modifying them based on the physiological data you’re able to collect with this level of Forerunner)

dburst_ t1_jdzlmp0 wrote

I’ve been a staunch apple user since the original iPod touch and one day with my Forerunner 45 was enough to make me never pick up another Apple Watch again without some type of redesign. The out of the box experience for me personally was leaps and bounds better to get me up and moving. Suggested it to my wife who swore she’d never run unless she was being chased and now she’s running more than she ever had and ENJOYS running now.

Remote_Engine t1_jdzn8et wrote

For me, when the Forerunner could display a text from my iPhone, it was over. That piece of convenience is what I liked about the Apple Watch, but nothing else. I’ve been on the feature rich, rugged, long life Forerunners since 2018, and I can’t consider looking back. Apple worked too hard to compartmentalize features into different apps (many that are pay-for to do it well) for a fragile watch that I broke twice. After all, I’m very active and the Apple Watch simply isn’t durable enough, the features are fragmented across apps, and the cost is not inline with competitors.

pppjurac t1_je63wqt wrote

Garmin (and Polar too imho) makes excellent sport watches with some smartwatch functionality, while Apple makes fashionable quality smartwatch with some sport functionality.

jlusedude t1_je2ctlz wrote

I agree with this. I’ve changed from Apple to full Garmin and what Connect does and aggregates is awesome. I have Fenix 7x, Index S2 smart scale, Vector 3 dual sided pedals, Edge 1030+ and HRM Pro+, the ability to combine all the data from each device in one area, track weight and BF% as well as FTP and Watts per kilo is very cool.

Edit: and Neo 2T trainer (doesn’t connect with Connect App)

Remote_Engine t1_je2dzoe wrote

I gotta get on your level! Daaaamn, that’s a sweet ecosystem of tools!

jlusedude t1_je2ejxg wrote

I also have the Tacx Neo 2T.

I will say, Garmin has incredible service. I’ve bought the vector 3 and fenix used. I got both of them replaced under warranty through Garmin. Don’t be afraid to buy used, it’s saved me a ton of money.

Remote_Engine t1_je2ex58 wrote

How do you like the Vector 3?

jlusedude t1_je2lxia wrote

Great pedals. Very happy with the information regarding power phase. Really happy with them.