Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

shortyman920 t1_ir1sxrg wrote

Yeah, you would think a state with lower taxes and lower costs, but I guess upstate NY could at least draw from a richer talent pool with the proximity to nyc

Twheezy01 t1_ir2fa6x wrote

I live in Syracuse, we get knocked for high taxes but it's not that bad around here. The people that get those jobs will be stylin

croto8 t1_ir2q5gc wrote

I’m sure they were referring to corporate taxes.

Twheezy01 t1_ir2u4ul wrote

I'm sure there were heavy tax breaks involved

Bewaretheicespiders t1_ir23m30 wrote

How's the semicon talent pool in NYC?

Big population doesnt mean big talent pool in every sector. Remember THQ? They had a studio in NYC, up to the point they realized not a single employee was from there, they had all relocated for the job. So they closed it down and moved the whole operation to Montreal. Or so some former employees told me. Wasnt enough to save them though...

SafetyMan35 t1_ir3pt2t wrote

RIT in Rochester has a full microelectronics program with functional clean room facilities. Lots of new talent 90 minutes away.

shortyman920 t1_ir2jnee wrote

Fair point, and I admit dont actually know. It’s also several hours from nyc, but that’s a easier relocation for nyc workers than say in Ohio or Missouri. Lots of experienced workers end up moving farther and farther away from nyc itself anyway

It could be for something entirely different like deals cut with the state