Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

jnemesh t1_ivubjrg wrote

Why would you waste your money on a 4080 when a $999 AMD card will outperform it? This thing isn't worth $1200, and it sure as hell ain't worth $1600! AT BEST, this should be a $900 card!

helpusdrzaius t1_ivug926 wrote

to me it's nuts people are spending $1k on a graphics card. it's a shame the industry has gone this way. but I get it, people will spend that money, and nvidia and amd both are more than willing to give them something to spend it for.

jnemesh t1_ivuhhlc wrote

Someone needs to tell nVidia that the crypto rush is over and they can go back to normal pricing now...

Honestly, I don't care if they DO have a performance advantage...nVidia's anti-consumer actions over the past few years pushed me away from EVER considering one of their products!

dustofdeath t1_ivuj9dl wrote

It's that or nothing. This is what happens if you have essentially no competition. Two companies is not a competition - it's a mutual jackoff.

The wafer/chip is likely 1/5th of the GPU final price.

beefcat_ t1_ivvo2yk wrote

> It's that or nothing.

What are you talking about? There are lots of GPUs in prices ranging from $200 all the way up to those obnoxious prices.

There have always been obnoxiously overpriced options for those looking to stroke their e-peen. It used to be SLI builds, then Titan cards, now xx90.

ackillesBAC t1_ivvl8gw wrote

Hey Intel is trying don't count them out. Honestly though I just seen a review saying the Intel gpus have almost no slowdown when Ray tracing

routerg0d t1_ivvo7w8 wrote

I’ve seen people do ray traces on 386s in high school. Took overnight to generate, but the point is. Intel has a lot of data on this process over those years. GPU makers have just only delved into ray tracing. This is the 3rd generation and frankly both have again made incremental improvements rather than producing a breakthrough product. Perhaps to keep selling GPUs.

ackillesBAC t1_ivvxo9w wrote

Path tracing is the new holly grail. Abit different then ray tracing, alot more complex, and physically accurate.

The big push now for dlss and other ai based upscaling I think is silly, why fake a high res picture when you could use ai to accelerate path tracing and other raw features and render at true high res and high performance.

Dlss reminds me of 3d tv's, and 200 Hz tv's, just a sales gimmick. Which is what Ray tracing currently is to.

−2

jnemesh t1_ivyi4g9 wrote

upscaling lets you render at much lower resolutions and still maintain most of the quality of rendering native. I am NOT on board with DLSS 3's frame generation BS, though. But the ability for a mid range card to render in "4k" with raytracing is a huge benefit!

ackillesBAC t1_ivynah7 wrote

Ya it's good for low end I agree with that, but should be avoided for high end. If I spend 1000+ on a video card I want high performance and true high quality.

You don't see photographers asking for upscaling, you do see photographers asking for higher resolution, less compression, hdr, and ai for auto focus and other things.

I think highend photography and highend graphics have alot in common and the graphics is guided by photography

kyuubixchidori t1_ivwaxor wrote

The thing is you can now get a 3070 for $400 used. That’ll handle 4k gaming to 99.9% of peoples standards. $1000 used to be the standard price I’d think of a decent computer. now $1000 will get you a solid state storage 4k or vr gaming machine.

now the guys that want to go way overboard can. and those speeds will trickle down each generation. I’ll enjoy buying a 4090 or amd equivalent in a 2 years for $500-700. and that’ll last me another 5 years.

restform t1_ivx2sqm wrote

2nd hand cards suss me out a lot tho.

WhatLikeAPuma751 t1_ivwko72 wrote

I’m over here on a 12 year old nvidia card waiting for that 3070 to hit $200 🤣

xseannnn t1_ivvfct7 wrote

Have you seen food prices lately? Its not just the gfx industry.

buzzysale t1_ivyksrk wrote

I spent $1500 on a 4MB graphics adapter (Fujitsu sapphire 2) when I was 16. It was 1995. Do you know how many lawns I had to mow? The industry hasn’t gone this way, it’s the way it’s been. Consumers are just dumb 16 year olds that value the dumbest things.

D-6Hunter t1_ivurte5 wrote

1k isn’t what it used to be though 😅

mobrocket t1_ivupdv3 wrote

Because if I had money to burn and use Ray Tracing..

Or

There are some productive apps that Nvidia is just vastly superior

ttubehtnitahwtahw1 t1_ivutm20 wrote

Also driver support and software are just better on Nvidia, unfortunately. This has been one of the things that keeps me away from amd. I dealt with their drivers and software for a like 10 years and I just don't want to anymore.

Detective_Jkimble t1_ivvdt0p wrote

Same. I went to Intel/Nvidia for personal setups around 10+ years ago after dealing with ATI shit drivers and shit hdcp support for years. A few years later I built a PC just to sell and make a few bucks and went with AMD stuff. It was still garbage at that time. I will recommend AMD cpu's, but never recommend AMD gpu's. I have seen people talking about shitty drivers on their last two generations of cards, but I don't have any personal experience. Maybe they have gotten a lot better and people are not experiencing too many issues, but my taste for Radeon has been soured. I am willing to pay a premium for system stability. I don't want to go back to the days where I have to fuck around with a bunch of shit to get a game to run.

mobrocket t1_ivvgkk3 wrote

My son had a RX580 and it ran pretty good on lastest drivers... But now he has a 3050... And it's been smooth since day one (granted I bought it 3 months ago)

Detective_Jkimble t1_ivvi9xc wrote

I would hope they have gotten the drivers squared away after 5 years. This link below is the stuff I have been reading about AMD cards for years and I will think to myself "glad I don't have to deal with that". In this link people are talking about how you have to under clock the RX580 to get it to work right and this was 8 months ago. You should never have to do anything like that to get your GPU to work. I think I was reading a few weeks ago about people having problems with the 5000 series cards when they released. Again, maybe this is just a small minority of people and in general the drivers are fine, but I sure as hell don't want to spend money on a gpu knowing I might have to deal with a bunch of shit. I can't think of one time in the last 10 years I got a bad nvidia driver that caused my computer to malfunction

​

**edit to add link**

​

.https://www.reddit.com/r/radeon/comments/tjlbaj/rx580_drivers_are_a_nightmare/

jnemesh t1_ivvtvk6 wrote

Not true these days, drivers are just as stable on AMD as Nvidia

https://wccftech.com/amd-most-stable-graphics-drivers/

ttubehtnitahwtahw1 t1_ivvxyop wrote

Sorry but the same was said about the drivers that I was on back when I formed that opinion. Not mention the software itself being junk.

Also that article is from 2018.

−1

WorkAccount2023 t1_iwncxq1 wrote

I've read so far that for video editing and After Effects, AMD cards aren't much of an issue, maybe a tad slower, but your CPU will be a bigger bottleneck.

Not sure about 3D work though, that's out of my wheelhouse.

theBdub22 t1_ivuycvx wrote

What $999 card outperforms the 4080 (which we dont even have third party benchmarks for yet)

albhed t1_ivv6qfo wrote

7900XTX

theBdub22 t1_ivv6t2l wrote

Oh, you mean another card that we dont have third party benchmarks for?

rakehellion t1_ivv234y wrote

Which card outperforms it?

jnemesh t1_ivvr4cq wrote

7900 XTX should handily outperform the 4080 in raster...but we will have to wait for the benchmarks.

gbeezy007 t1_ivuukzn wrote

I mean that's all speculation. Time will tell. If so the 4080 won't sell well. Though it seems like Nvidia priced the 4080 to sell more 4090s honestly so idk if they care.

iswedlvera t1_ivxdcoa wrote

They priced the 40 series cards to sell more 30 series card stock. They overproduced because of crypto and don't want to lose money on them.

khainiwest t1_ivv37lc wrote

Maybe I'm getting old but I can't justify the cost on it; video games that require that power I just end up watching like movies lol. For everything else there's mastercard, mid series cards that are already overkill.

And I guess people who need it for their jobs?

Detective_Jkimble t1_ivvfr3x wrote

4k VR or triple 4k monitors for people playing racing and flight sims. Those can utilize the performance from a 4090. Most of the people with those setups have money to spend and don't care about the cost of a 4090 when their sim rig alone costs $5k+.

beefcat_ t1_ivvohqf wrote

There are no video games that actually require that power.

rakehellion t1_ivyj1zi wrote

DLSS and CUDA

jnemesh t1_ivyjjue wrote

FSR is a competitor to DLSS, as much as some don't want to admit it, the quality differences are minor (and getting slimmer with each revision).

CUDA matters not at all to gamers. nVidia keeps trying to walk the line between a consumer (gaming) card and "Pro" cards...and the consumer cards never fail to fall seriously short when it comes right down to it.

rakehellion t1_ivymanx wrote

DLSS isn't perfect, but FSR is even worse. And DLSS keeps getting better with each revision. They're nowhere near close in image quality or features.

jnemesh t1_ivymnu9 wrote

You act like FSR isn't making progress as well. Oh well, can't help if you already drank the Kool Aid! Enjoy your overpriced fire hazard.

rakehellion t1_ivyn2a9 wrote

lol? You sound mad. "Making progress" isn't very useful to someone who needs a GPU today.

Likely_Satire t1_ivv2jjh wrote

I got a $460 used RTX 3080 a week or two ago. I was skeptical, but I benchmarked her and she runs exactly at spec! 😁
I know $460 isn't chump change in this economy, but the card still sells new for $799.99, and used it's still easily $550-650 so I think I did alright 🤷‍♂️
Like everyone in here is saying tho; it's bewildering what people are willing to pay for high end specs.
This is my first technical 'high end' gpu purchase and with how the market is looking; I'll be holding onto her for a loooooong time before my next upgrade. And even then I'll be seeking the used market.
I was getting by fine with a used GTX 1650 Super before this that played most of the indie titles I like no problem, and most every recent release at 1080p medium/high settings (some games did run horribly however and my rig was starting to show signs of age, but most of those games I could turn a setting or few down and she'd be running like a dream again).
I only got this to play Elden Ring at 1440p with a decent FPS and to go back and play the meme of a game Cyber Punk since I payed for it and haven't touched it since release.
Overall tho if I wasn't able to snag a decent price like I did; I woulda stood with that 1650. I had a bond with that card; it was oddly fun seeing what games she could play and tuning the settings to fit her spec everytime I launched up a new title. That and there's a different level of satisfaction you get when you kick the enemy teams ass on mid/potato spec computers. It's like a double ego boost for yourself. 'I'm so good at the game I could beat you with 15-30fps' 😬😂
Edit: To go more off what you were saying tho; more people definitely need to consider AMD. I had a RX 580 I no longer needed that I gave to my sister for graphic design; and it still holds up nicely at 1080p medium/high with modern games in 2022.
If I didn't give that to her cause I scored another rig with that 1650 I mentioned for the low; I woulda still been using that.
AMD > Nvidia when it comes to buying new. But if you can buy used and get a deal on an Nvidia card; don't feel like that's a bad option. They're great cards for gaming; just a tad overpriced putting it mildly.
I will say tho; most AMD products are moreso better in raw specs which only translate to gains in performance in environments like rendering software and synthetic benchmarks.
It's kinda the reason why people still lean Nvidia/Intel if they can get their hands on em when they're tryna build a gaming rig... well that and historically 'better' driver support. But that's subjective and AMD seems to be doing a better job over the years supporting older GPU's so that point can be taken with a grain of salt.
All that being said; AMD is a great alternative for the price to performance they offer. Increasingly so because of the price gouging companies like Nvidia are guilty of.

MadOrange64 t1_iw6vlyo wrote

Why would you waste money on the 4000 series when you can find a used 3090 ti for sub $1000 nowadays. DLSS 3 is not worth an extra 1k.