Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

PapaBePreachin t1_ivuhpqs wrote

>MSRP for GPUs is basically just for the FE and maybe a few low end AIBs. It's always been this way where if you buy a nicer AIB model the prices increase from the base MSRP.

Yeah except this time any performance gained from AIBs are neglible as the FE SKUs are already tuned near peak performance. I welcome anyone to justify buying the Asus ROG Strix 4090 (and likely 4080) versus the others. This was EVGA's chief complaint - Nvidia is treating the AIBs like a nuisance [to be crushed] rather than partners

kurizma t1_ivuq1pz wrote

Going to miss evga. The only AIB card I would buy. Customer service and warranty was amazing.

[deleted] t1_ivvanig wrote

Wouldn't be surprised to see them return in the future if market conditions change, maybe as a partner for AMD or Intel even though they kind of denied that option when they were asked about it a couple months ago.

TDYDave2 t1_ivx3dn5 wrote

Sort of like every time a long-time marriage/relationship breaks up.
Always takes a while before one is willing to get back "dating" again.

aminy23 t1_ivy9235 wrote

> I welcome anyone to justify buying the Asus ROG Strix 4090 (and likely 4080) versus the others.

##RGB

gbeezy007 t1_ivuu9sb wrote

Top end AIB cards never made any sense performance to price. The base versions and FE always were way better if you cared about the value.

Most of the extras don't really make the card any where near faster % wise for the % increase. Lower temps , better looking, form factor type stuff is nice but meh.

KansaiKanpai t1_ivvikzx wrote

I always thought that FE cards were for some reason way more expensive than others.

WordBoxLLC t1_ivvrr97 wrote

FE is a newer thing so I don't know what always could mean short of a couple years. Nvidia cards always sucked in comparison up until lately

gbeezy007 t1_ivw6l7p wrote

I did say base cards first and FE. And FE cards have been around longer then everyone's acting almost 10 years ago they sold a 780 FE. They started pushing them harder over the last 3 gens / 6 years.

−2

[deleted] t1_ivvaht7 wrote

Yeah the only point of going for AIBs now seems to be for lower fan noise, cooling, and look/build quality if you care about that but even then the FE models have caught up in those departments. Personally probably gonna try and get a 4080 FE next year when prices on it inevitably drop once RTX 30 supply clears.

4090 FE has been getting great reviews so far from tech outlets and I expect it will be the same for the 4080 FE. Nvidia has really stepped up the design quality of their FE cards in recent years. It does suck that it seems like they're disregarding their AIB partners at this point but for consumers its nice to have a good quality FE option at MSRP.