Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

digital_end t1_j0cmlhj wrote

I really hope they have double analog sticks on the new steam controller. The touchpads are nice, but they aren't sticks and mini games are designed with the feel of an analog stick in mind.

I just never could get used to be touchpads and certain games (dark souls for example) would just never feel right.

It is hands down the best controller aside from that fact. The customization, the feel of it overall, everything. I can't say enough good things about it. But it ended up getting used way less than I wanted.

GimpyGeek t1_j0d1d65 wrote

It would also fix the problems with people not realizing it's an enthusiast control expecting it to work out of the box with no config work. Which would help a lot. But I still want that touch pad tooooo

Hailgod t1_j0diigq wrote

then buy another controller. tons of them have that generic design. Thats the entire point of the steam controller. The touch pad means u can have precise movements using a controller. something that analog sticks will never be able to do.

digital_end t1_j0dnj3i wrote

Strong disagree there.

And it's acting as though the only feature of the steam controller was the touchpads.

−3

workThrowaway459837 t1_j0dzi3s wrote

Not sure what's left aside from that these days. Almost every major controller is supported by Steam Input these days, so remapping and gyros are available pretty much across the board where there's hardware support for it.

digital_end t1_j0e4oxj wrote

Well first and primary from my own experience is the fact that most game controllers have a limited number of inputs and try to mask that behind duplicating buttons.

Take for example one of my primary controllers. It only has a set number of separate distinct "buttons"... So the extra shoulder buttons that I have can only remap from the existing buttons. I can move them around, but it's only going to be that set number of inputs. You can't even have an external program try to fake it because it's only sending those data points out of the controller, a set number which is less than the number of buttons.

So there's no way for me to have every button on the controller do something different and a modifier key to double the buttons.

This is something I bought a half dozen controllers trying to find a good alternative for, and all of them have some version of this issue.

Steam's controller? It is a fucking LEGEND for customization. I can have any key do anything I want it to do, and sing me a damn song while it does it.

That's one thing.

The button positioning as well is supreme. Several rear buttons instead of just the two silly triggers.

I like to weight profile and the balancing. It fits my hands very well and feels very ergonomic.

So no, I don't agree that the only thing that was relevant about the steam controller was the touchpads.

Eliseo120 t1_j0dxzit wrote

Best controller aside from a huge design flaw. Okay then.

digital_end t1_j0e56l8 wrote

I mean yes, and that should speak to exactly how good the controller is.

I tried to get used to those touch pads because everything else was great about it. The customization, the feedback, just everything. It was fantastic and if it had analog sticks I would have bought a half dozen of them just to store them away cuz I would never need a different controller again.

If you're one of the lucky ones that can get used to the touchpads though, holy crap I would recommend that thing in a heartbeat.

Ailerath t1_j0d8uxv wrote

Unfortunately, since the steam controller is so diverse it's hard to make changes. Like personally I believe the double touchpad to be a massive improvement over any other controller. It feels so much better than an analog stick with better feedback and control. But I can totally see analog sticks being a strong preference to people who want resistive feedback rather than haptic/texture. As well as people who grew up with normal controllers as their primary gaming device.

Honestly I hope for them to bring back the original Steam Controller more than anything else because it is the most ideal controller in my eyes as a preference.

I'd also be interested in seeing what they would make if they took stuff from the Index Knuckles.

−1

ScratchC t1_j0dqic0 wrote

Then there's me. I have hyperhidrosis. Usin anything thats touch sensitive is a nightmare whenever it happens. Including something as simple as using my phone.