Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

TheConboy22 t1_j10ghvu wrote

I don't know how people do it. I cannot have a keyboard without a number pad.

orthographicview t1_j10uqvg wrote

I can not work without one. Some apps I use do different things when enter is pressed and when enter on the numpad pressed. Blender can technicaly be used without numpad, but it's so much better with one. If you use a keyboard for gaming and typing, sure, but if you need to do your job on one too, the lost desk real estate is worth it .

Undoninja5 t1_j11he99 wrote

I am an indie game developer who uses a 60% keyboard, definitely way harder than having a full keyboard + my equals key broke and switching out the switch doesn’t fix it and now I have to do, ctrl-shift-e every time I want to write an equals key, which is a lot when programming. Don’t skimp out on your keyboard kiddos

ExNihiloish t1_j1335mw wrote

If you have a key you never use, you can rebind it to produce =. Or make any key your want produce it with a single modifier.

Undoninja5 t1_j1338du wrote

Yeah sadly since it’s a 60% that thing is not working with excess keys, but at this point it barely impacts my typing speed

fogdukker t1_j10j2rn wrote

When I need to use one, I pull the usb numpad out from behind my monitor...

TheConboy22 t1_j10wza8 wrote

I use mine anytime I’m doing data entry.

fogdukker t1_j112euw wrote

Well then, you should probably have a numpad if you're doing data entry. Dummy.

TheConboy22 t1_j11b39x wrote

Of course. Hence my stance on them being needed. Do we not all do some form of data entry? How do people keep their books?

The_Condominator t1_j11f1b2 wrote

Are you that out of touch with the general populace?

TheConboy22 t1_j11j8rb wrote

I guess I should account for how reckless people are. In todays world you have to have some way to keep record of your finances or be destined to never having money

Tony2Punch t1_j11kczv wrote

50% of Americans live paycheck to paycheck

TheConboy22 t1_j11knzv wrote

Because they don’t balance their books at all.

Edit: that’s incorrect, but it does help.

−3

fogdukker t1_j11yntg wrote

I just spend less than I make 🤷

Don't really need a budget for that at this point.

TheConboy22 t1_j127316 wrote

I mean, that works too. To each their own. I like to see where things are going. I do data entry for tons of things though. I like being able to look back at numbers and understand where things went or how things have adjusted.

Level-Bit t1_j10y2xd wrote

Two keyboards. One with numpad for work, other without one for gaming.

TheConboy22 t1_j10yca1 wrote

I have two keyboards as well. One for personal and one for work. The work one is wireless and just goes in the drawer when I'm not working. Both have numpads because I use the numpads for my non work, working. I just cannot do data entry with the numbers at the top of the keyboard. My mind goes into 3 finger number entry and doesn't compute with any sort of quickness when using the numbers at the top.

lupuscapabilis t1_j10ock6 wrote

It's as if it doesn't even exist in my world... until I want to lazily hit the numpad Enter key.

phatelectribe t1_j10x742 wrote

I can’t buy a laptop without a numpad. Total deal breaker.

rdabosss t1_j10xeoj wrote

It's invaluable for work but if you have a separate setup for gaming it would be really nice to have that extra desk space

TheConboy22 t1_j10ytfc wrote

It's all one giant workspace for me. Bought a pretty large desk though so I can have two keyboards and 2 mice without much issue. I could see how someone with limited space would want to maximize their real estate. My work peripherals are all wireless so they just get put away when not on the clock.

Framed-Photo t1_j139l2m wrote

Most people don't type numbers that much, and when they do a number row is fine. Plus, if you take off the numberpad you save A TON of space that is freed up for your mouse, which for games is a gigantic advantage. I play with a low sensitivity in games and need the space.

TheConboy22 t1_j13ewsy wrote

I play with a microscopic sensitivity and aim shoulder elbow, but I just have a big desk. I guess if you have a small desk where that matters than sure.

Framed-Photo t1_j13jby0 wrote

I have a big desk, it's about proper ergonomics. You physically can't have your hands in good positions for long term gaming with a full sized board, you'll need to flex your wrists in an unhealthy way and you'll notice those effects long term.

TheConboy22 t1_j15bofz wrote

I’m 35 and have been gaming for over 30 years and 25 of those years I’ve been PC gaming. Not sure what ergonomics you’re studying, but this hasn’t effected me in the slightest nor do I believe it ever will. Rested arm with shoulder and elbow movement removes a TON of wrist strain to the point it’s non existent. I also worked most of my career in varying roles of CSR which was all on a computer and now work in IT and that’s also all on computer. I think that my set up is proper and some of you think more than you know.

Framed-Photo t1_j16qgal wrote

I've written research papers on avoiding rsi in the workplace, so I'm basing my opinions on that. It doesn't really matter how long you've been gaming or anything, I've been at it a long time as well. If your wrists and arms aren't totally straight and are resting on your desk while you game, you're at risk of rsi. You can't have both your wrists and arms be straight, with a full sized keyboard. You're bending your wrists or your arms outwards to make room for your mouse, or one is off center, something. Full sized keyboards are big enough to where you have to do that no matter who you are.

So like I said, you might not be feeling anything wrong now but it can and does effect people into the future.

TheConboy22 t1_j16raz9 wrote

Want to supply me with your research papers? Would love to read over your findings and compare them with others.

Edit: Refused to provide anything to back his claim. Still interested in seeing what he was using as resources and how I could improve, but some people would prefer to not discuss what’s supposedly their specialty and just tell people they are wrong. Smh

Framed-Photo t1_j16vik4 wrote

I'm not here to go back and fourth with a random guy on line about RSI, and there are certainly better resources out there then my paper. But any amount of googling on the subject would tell you what I'm telling you. You can't really keep straight wrists/arms with a full sized keyboard, and bending your wrists/arms out from being straight puts you at risk of RSI if you're doing it a lot.

Enk1ndle t1_j14npor wrote

Left handed means I never learned to use one in the first place. The top of the keyboard is fine.

QuickbuyingGf t1_j10st0t wrote

Just use the number row

−5

TheConboy22 t1_j10wocn wrote

How about no. For data entry. It just does not suffice.

DarkRajiin t1_j152z5i wrote

Well I agree that for data entry it makes things easier, but certainly these aren't designed with cubicle office work in mind.

QuickbuyingGf t1_j10wvh9 wrote

Cope

−13

TheConboy22 t1_j10xjn8 wrote

What? I buy my own electronics so I don’t give a shit about what other people use. Not having a numpad is pointless. Save them mini keyboards for the people who don’t have data to enter in large amounts

ReflectionEterna t1_j11z18t wrote

Why don't you just automate, you neanderthal? I haven't had to perform data entry since high school. You manually enter in all of your expenses? Numpads are only for people who waste time not understanding technology like old people and Republicans.

TheConboy22 t1_j126eu2 wrote

Maybe I’m ignorant as to how to automate everything. I’m going to start researching that now to see if there are some simple tasks I can remove from my day to day. Definitely not a Republican. I’m old to some and young to others. Just depends.

ReflectionEterna t1_j128b8b wrote

Ha, sorry! I didn't put a /s. That was just me being stupid. Of course numpads are useful. 😀

QuickbuyingGf t1_j10xp63 wrote

Curious

−4

TheConboy22 t1_j10yitt wrote

That was a big much. I get like that sometimes. Just don't think the saved space is worth not having the functionality. However, a wireless numpad could be a nice compromise. Could just whip it out when I need it.

mcoombes314 t1_j12o6bp wrote

Some programs make a distinction between "number row" number keys and numpad number keys

ThorAnuth420 t1_j11zw0d wrote

Can't tell if you're trolling or if you've never used a keyboard outside of gaming. Even in terms of gaming, it's more keybinds you can use.