Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Randomthought5678 t1_j39f3so wrote

I don't know man, I get the emergencies contact stuff but the first time somebody casually texts on their phone when we're 14 miles deep into the Olympics I'm going to lose my shit.

T8ortots t1_j39o6py wrote

What?

Randomthought5678 t1_j39rjkz wrote

When I go hiking I like to be off grid as much as possible. The best hiking around me is in the Olympic mountain range of Washington State. If phones start working in the middle of nowhere it's just a matter of time until people use it frivolously and I'll be sad.

T8ortots t1_j39te91 wrote

Ah that makes more sense. The "Olympics" means something completely different to the rest of the world /s

Randomthought5678 t1_j39uy54 wrote

Yeah upon rereading I get that. Technically I'm an Olympian since I hail from Olympia... All I have are participation trophies though.

Beginning_Ad_5381 t1_j3bbolc wrote

To be fair "The Olympics" in this context, when referencing wilderness areas, would be easily recognized as referring to the mountains by anyone interested in wilderness related activities as it is a colloquialism common within these communities. Much like saying "The Rockies".

T8ortots t1_j3bbupv wrote

I came here for gadgets, not mountains

imnotsoho t1_j3agkvx wrote

Not just that but people who have no respect for wilderness. Oh, things are uncomfortable I need to call a helicopter. BS. If you choose to go into wilderness, you get yourself out.

boones_farmer t1_j3nu9is wrote

Oh my god, someone might enjoy nature differently than you do! Oh the humanity!