Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

BloodyMess t1_jdsy6ju wrote

Honestly, it doesn't make any difference. Look at the 3DS and Wii U eShops closing recently, with so many games no longer available in any legitimate format. You absolutely cannot rely on Nintendo's digital store to allow you to play anything 10 years from now.

The only store that you can reliably trust is GOG since everything there is DRM-free and can be downloaded locally.

CactuarKing t1_jdt1wx9 wrote

I'm purely talking from the perspective of value as a collectors item. Sure, the physical copies will be less common, but it's overall rarity as an item will be lower due to the fact that so many more people own the game digitally. Physical copies got lost, damaged, thrown away, sold, but those were the only way to play the game (emulation clearly has no effect on collectors value.) Can't do that with digital, even if the shops themselves go down.

BloodyMess t1_jdt3ft7 wrote

Ah, I see your point - you're saying that having more digital copies will reduce scarcity.

But I'd argue the "collector's item" value of a physical object is actually the primary driver of inflated prices. I mean, we can all emulate the games instantly if we want - scarcity is a non-issue even with those GC games.