Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

MajinBuuMan t1_jdsg412 wrote

Keep one sealed and give it 15 years or so. That'll be one of the ones that go for more than they sold. Like the GC version of Prime.

TakeADownvoteFukker t1_jdsgy8k wrote

That’s probably the smart thing to do. Take this downvote though you piece of shit.

igot99prolems t1_jdtiaxy wrote

You need to start a cult. Create a subreddit so I can join.

ScoobyMaroon t1_jdsjxbl wrote

Wait 15 years to maybe make $100 or give it to a friend today and get enjoyment out of giving a nice gift and having a buddy to chat about it with.

Easy choice imo

MajinBuuMan t1_jdskay7 wrote

Sealed copies of Prime for GC can get like $800.

CactuarKing t1_jdsshwk wrote

Keep in mind that GC was the last generation before digital releases though...,of course it's valuable when it's the only way to play/own the game for that console

FunkyPigeonFlock t1_jdsw29u wrote

Nobody's buying the sealed ones to play tho. This has a higher chance then most to be another collector item

Skware1 t1_jdt7zex wrote

The difference is no one foresaw them ever being worth that much back when those games came out. Nowadays people are stockpiling sealed sealed games thinking they will be guaranteed profit. That combined with the fact that the next generation of gamers raised on fortnite will have little to no interest in physical media will ensure games from this era never reach the same value. I wouldn't be surprised if 10 years from now we see ebay listings like "100 copies of prime remasted for $2000".

CactuarKing t1_jdt31rf wrote

True, but I think it's value as a collectors item decreases based on its general feeling as a rarity. The GameCube was an underselling console, and the physical copy of Metroid Prime was the only way to play the game. With this in mind, and as copies get lost, damaged, etc, it's value as a collectors item goes up, even if technically it's sealed and not for playing. Its value also competes with players that do buy the copy and unseal it to play, which most players up until now did since that was the only way you'd experience the game (I don't think emulation has much of an effect.)

Plus, Metroid Prime for GameCube is already a valuable collectors item, so I don't see the remastered version with a digital release matching it's value.

Rarity is just one aspect of its value as a collectible. People have to WANT it, too.

Kodiakweb t1_jduhccl wrote

Emulation absolutely has an effect, it lowers the amount of people buying the game to play it. Why spend hard earned money on ancient, dying hardware when you can just emulate it for much cheaper and get a (subjectively) better experience? Even for those who dont know or care about those options, virtual console is emulation, and so is xbox 360 and xbox 2001 gameplay on ones and series xboxes. Even if these people's purchase habits don't affect demand, there are more old pieces of hardware in circulation simply because emulation means people can sell old hardware without losing the ability to play the old games they want to play occasionally.

mctoasterson t1_jdv18tn wrote

Better get Wata games to validate the authenticity and grade your copy for its super duper rarity.

HolyVeggie t1_jduv5ho wrote

While this is true the argument still stands. People want to play the game -> price rises -> sealed price rises

BloodyMess t1_jdsy6ju wrote

Honestly, it doesn't make any difference. Look at the 3DS and Wii U eShops closing recently, with so many games no longer available in any legitimate format. You absolutely cannot rely on Nintendo's digital store to allow you to play anything 10 years from now.

The only store that you can reliably trust is GOG since everything there is DRM-free and can be downloaded locally.

CactuarKing t1_jdt1wx9 wrote

I'm purely talking from the perspective of value as a collectors item. Sure, the physical copies will be less common, but it's overall rarity as an item will be lower due to the fact that so many more people own the game digitally. Physical copies got lost, damaged, thrown away, sold, but those were the only way to play the game (emulation clearly has no effect on collectors value.) Can't do that with digital, even if the shops themselves go down.

BloodyMess t1_jdt3ft7 wrote

Ah, I see your point - you're saying that having more digital copies will reduce scarcity.

But I'd argue the "collector's item" value of a physical object is actually the primary driver of inflated prices. I mean, we can all emulate the games instantly if we want - scarcity is a non-issue even with those GC games.

Lexx2k t1_jdur5kr wrote

$800 for 15 years waiting is still not that great. :>

xTrollhunter t1_jdzpmx9 wrote

Games are to be played, not collected.

MajinBuuMan t1_jdzq7a7 wrote

That's why I have a digital version. My physical copy is sealed.

Doing the same for Zelda TotK. Have my digital copy pre-ordered using Nintendo Vouchers and got my order in for physical collection copy as well. I have a sealed copy of every Zelda game ever made except 1 and 2 which I just have the NES carts for.

Alili1996 t1_jduuloe wrote

This.
I have a despise for people who keep games as collector items instead of playing them.
I remember getting used games on E-bay for like 10-20 bucks tops, but now everything has skyrocketed because some hipsters who want to have games sitting in their shelves

aceCaptainSlow t1_jdttd64 wrote

Nothing inflates in price like a Nintendo exclusive or a console Shoot 'Em Up port.

Bongerson t1_jdt5i2n wrote

hey its me ur brother

Ok-Ambition-9432 t1_jdtox1h wrote

Hey its me ur dad

insidiousapricot t1_jdu95fn wrote

Hey its me the girl you have a crush on

Ok-Ambition-9432 t1_jdu9jqq wrote

Hey, wanna sex?

Oiljacker t1_jdusdjf wrote

creep

−39

Ok-Ambition-9432 t1_jduv4gy wrote

r/woooosh

Oiljacker t1_jduv6x1 wrote

Nah bro that's plain creepy

−33

Ok-Ambition-9432 t1_jduvbrb wrote

Are you... new to the internet or something?

Oiljacker t1_jduvekp wrote

That's no excuse for being a creep. In your mind you might be joking, but that comes off as creepy

−35

[deleted] t1_jdv1e3c wrote

[deleted]

−3

AnxiousDeer_ t1_jdv5zmh wrote

Your heart is in the right place, just aiming it at the wrong people. This wasn’t a joke about sexually inappropriate remark towards a woman. These comments are literally making fun of these types of people. The family that comes out of the woodwork and then the creep who sees an opportunity to take advantage of a situation.

[deleted] t1_jdv7be1 wrote

[deleted]

AnxiousDeer_ t1_jdv7ngx wrote

If you aren’t going to read comments and actually comprehend their contents, don’t engage in conversations. I’ll repeat it again for you: They are making fun of the people coming out of the woodworks and the creeps. They are MAKING FUN OF the people coming out of the woodworks AND the creeps. Should I repeat it a third time?

[deleted] t1_jdv7x7e wrote

[deleted]

AnxiousDeer_ t1_jdv88gn wrote

Heels dug in because I understand the creep is the butt of the joke and don’t mind that we’re laughing at them? Guess you’d prefer we sweep it all under the rug and just pretend it’s not there, huh?

[deleted] t1_jdv8hrr wrote

[deleted]

AnxiousDeer_ t1_jdv8u0p wrote

lol It’s like talking to a brick wall. Again, THE CREEP IS THE JOKE. THATS THE JOKE. THE CREEP. We’re laughing at how fucking creepy these guys are. We are literally being the change your asking for and telling us “No, that’s wrong.” We’re literally making fun of them. Ffs

[deleted] t1_jdv94vi wrote

[deleted]

AnxiousDeer_ t1_jdvbrg0 wrote

The only idiot is the one who still thinks the joke is a sexual comment. Find someone else to troll

[deleted] t1_jdvc51r wrote

[deleted]

−1

AnxiousDeer_ t1_jdvctt6 wrote

This universe. The one where you still don’t understand that the joke wasn’t what they said but who they’re pretending to be. I literally have no idea how to explain that better. You’re either being purposely obtuse, a troll, or actually have some neurological disorder. Like I don’t know how to tell you any other way that the joke IS NOT what they said but WHO they are pretending to be.

[deleted] t1_jdvd6p6 wrote

[deleted]

−1

AnxiousDeer_ t1_jdvdtpr wrote

I’m not going to explain it again. I have more important things to do rather than explain how you’re literally not comprehending the conversation. At all.

Ok-Ambition-9432 t1_jdvzx12 wrote

Christ, what the hell happened? I feel like I just came to Hiroshima from vacation in 1945.

MasterDni t1_jdx101f wrote

Is he so ignorant and stupid that even now he thinks it's not a joke?

Choice-Base1353 t1_jdskegn wrote

The Gamer Gods must be pleased with something you did recently.🤘😆

c_binghamton OP t1_jdtidc0 wrote

I am going to pay it forward and give it to my buddy for his birthday next week.

EDIT: typo

Choice-Base1353 t1_jdu2h4x wrote

Was the typo you saying that you were going to give it to a buddy? LOL 😆 Truthfully though, that's generous of you, see that's the kind of characteristic of someone who gets an upgrade to there order on the house.

BrainzRYummy t1_jdskc37 wrote

Meanwhile I ordered from Walmart online and it's over a week late.

Gogo83770 t1_jdsk7ac wrote

May I ask where you made your purchase?

Heiro78 t1_jdtpby4 wrote

It's restocked at best buy too it seems. I just ordered a copy too

ptapobane t1_jdtkx3y wrote

someone somewhere is getting stiffed with a used copy

dnew t1_jdwbqmd wrote

He bought it from Amazon, he can send it back easily and get the product he actually ordered. It doesn't even need any human interaction.

C64hrles t1_je0cdur wrote

This is the equivalent of opening up a tv dinner and getting an extra chicken nugget. In this case though, you got like 5

c_binghamton OP t1_je0crdb wrote

Haha i love this comparison. Agreed! I thought I was lucky to find a used copy, given how hard it has been to grab one. Turns out my luck was going to pay out……double!

magicjam3 t1_jdtp92z wrote

Keep it out of direct light so the case doesn't yellow. Wait 10 years. Profit

Heiro78 t1_jdtp9fh wrote

Thanks for the reminder. Beat Buy has the physical copies in stock again. Thank goodness

MrMisties t1_jdu72y6 wrote

Normally I'd say send one back cuz companies like to do publicity stunts when people are honest and give you even more free shit but it's Nintendo. They'd probably ask for the other copy too.

spoopy-noodle t1_jdv04z2 wrote

Oh yeah? How bout you show us your co- I mean receipt, yeah receipt...

Shorue t1_jdtzt2v wrote

Someone said double it and give it to the next person

BrownGoatEnthusiast t1_jdu0p00 wrote

Give one to your mate, or keep it if you wanna be that wanker selling sealed old games for a massive profit

Sundaver t1_jdu2k1i wrote

This is how it should be for those in the suit

Megapost t1_jduao4j wrote

God has his favourites

misatillo t1_jdubtws wrote

In the mean time I managed to preorder it in a shop that in the end didn’t get enough for launch and I have 0 copies and nowhere around with stock

Arch3m t1_jdudvkk wrote

Meanwhile, I ordered one new copy and got one used copy.

CKatanik93 t1_jduekl5 wrote

What happens when you downvote a downvoter?

IIIdeletedIII t1_jdufbvx wrote

Keep one sealed and in a safe place. In 30 years you can sell it for a healthy profit if current eBay prices for 30 year old snes games are anything to go by.

Gaddaim t1_jduiaa0 wrote

That character has shoulders to lean on

Parking-Artichoke823 t1_jdup36m wrote

Nobody suggesting that he returns the item he did not pay for makes me sad

Samurai_lettuce t1_jdurpv2 wrote

Save one, in a safety deposit box and play the crap out of the other lol

Sun_Koala t1_jduxmh2 wrote

All I do is win win win..

Lugbor t1_jduyhuc wrote

I just want you to know that I hate you.

astronomydork t1_jdv683q wrote

I'm interested myself in getting this game!

Spartan_Cat_126 t1_jdvij7i wrote

Save one as a display piece. Might be worth something, and if not, an excellent conversation piece for visitors.

EnvironmentalZone746 t1_jdvkvd0 wrote

Maybe give one away? I don't mean to say you have to just good for the world and environment.

jewdo t1_jdwmiga wrote

I ordered/reserved that Zelda Game and Watch, one for me and one for my dad. He got me into gaming and got the original NES for me, and played the the original Zelda, so wanted to get us both a copy. I got an email saying that my Target order was delivered via Fedex, but couldn't find it at my door or at the mailboxes at my apartment complex. I was convinced someone took it and was fuming lol. I messaged target and got my $100 back but was still pissed about it. A few days later I found a beauty box in the mailroom and it was from Target. Fedex later emailed me saying the label was printed incorrectly and delayed shipping, even though they sent a notification saying it was delivered. But I opened it and instead of sending me 2, they sent 2 boxes in the package, so a total of 8 Zelda Game and Watches lol. I messaged Target, but they said it was an error on their part and to keep them.

jarbarf t1_jdwsf4n wrote

Is it possible to learn this power?

Royalmang0 t1_jdsxaim wrote

With the significant amount of copies and it also being available digitally on the switch, how long do you think it will take for the value to increase

MajinBuuMan t1_jdtsjch wrote

The amount of copies ensures nostalgia. Sealed copies are wanted by nostalgic collectors that want their childhood with cash to burn.

Lots of those old games are $50-$100. But if it's factory sealed now someone is willing to pay $500-$1000.

−6

KivogtaR t1_jdu4ikx wrote

Just another reason to sail, as far as I'm concerned.

Maksamil t1_jdtzugc wrote

Yes, to answer your query, I will take your extra copy.

Garix t1_jdv1snh wrote

Let me get the other one!!

CasMaSas t1_jdv2sw8 wrote

Umm I think my 8 year old sons copy accidentally got sent to you….

adlerv t1_jdvor4t wrote

Can I have the spare one?

BBkad t1_jdsrcxg wrote

Dude!

−1

Trickmaahtrick t1_jdtee45 wrote

That's fun. Consider finding a local place to donate, or don't.

−1

Sure-Entertainment14 t1_jdtlmlw wrote

And someone got nothing.

−1

dnew t1_jdwcdlx wrote

If that person ordered from Amazon, it's a trivial fix. Amazon actually has really good customer service about that.

MexicanSunnyD t1_jdt1efv wrote

One for collection, the other for chocolate pudding.

−2