Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Manjorno316 t1_jee82kn wrote

I think people are just spoiled. If something isn't a perfect 10/10 to them then it fucking sucked and was a waste of time. No in between.

JohnLocke815 t1_jeeb27g wrote

Yep, the rating scale is so fucked.

Like people say Gotham knights was a huge critical failure. Based on scores (which I think are pointless but so many people still follow) it's got mostly 6s and 7s.

To me a 6 or 7 is a decent to good game. On a scale of 1 to 10, middle is 5, meaning a 5 would be an average game, making a 6 or 7 above average.

But for some reason a 7 is somehow considered a bad score. I've seen people saying they won't play anything less than an 8.

People are missing out on some fun stuff because of that. Hell, people are missing out on fun stuff because of reviews, period. Really wish more people would learn to think for themselves. Say way too many comments saying stuff like "this game looks so good and I was so hyped, but reviews haven't been great". Who cares? If you think it looks fun give it a try. There's so many games/movies/books/shows I love they have shit reviews, and so many I hate they have great reviews.

Nightsheade t1_jeeiine wrote

Depends on your perspective, really. If you believe in the idea that game developers generally don't want to spend all their time and energy consciously releasing a product that they know is horrible, you end up mostly with a bunch of games (that were popular enough for reviewers to consider scoring for clicks) that score around 6 through 10.

When we're talking about products that take hours to process and are generally more expensive to consume than other mediums like movies and books, a 6/10 game is just gonna seem less appealing at a glance than one that's at least 8/10. This isn't to say that people should avoid the 6 or 7s as generally, that's also a score given to relatively niche games without broad audience appeal.