Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

meekgamer452 t1_ixylyqf wrote

From purely a gamers perspective, I don't see any extra significance to Microsoft buying Call of Duty, or Elder Scrolls, when compared to Sony acquiring over the years equally cool IPs like KOTOR, Spiderman, Bloodborne, etc. The fact is Sony bought a lot of IPs, and gated a lot of them from Xbox and PC players, and Microsoft started doing the same, the difference is they might keep CoD and Elder Scrolls cross platform, because not doing that would be a crappy, anti-consumerist thing to do.

−1

stillgotmonkon t1_ixyo73h wrote

If they aren't anti consumerist then why did they get a 899 million euros fine for unlawful monopolistic practices in the EU.

gothpunkboy89 t1_ixyolww wrote

>KOTOR

So how is a limited time exclusivity deal (1 year typically) the same as Elder Scroll 6+ never showing up on PS consoles the same?

​

>​ Spiderman

Then how is Spiderman in the new Marvel Midnight Sun's game which is being released on Xbox, PC and PS at the same time?

​

>​ Bloodborne

Really curious why this is listed as it is quite literally an original IP created specifically for Sony by a 3rd party. Something that isn't really a new concept given you have Sunset Overdrive, Crackdown and Gears of War on Xbox all created by 3rd party developers specifically for Xbox systems. I've never really seen anyone complain about Microsoft "taking" Gears of War away from Nintendo and Sony players.

meekgamer452 t1_ixys7cd wrote

I gave a random list of games that are PS exclusive that I feel are on par with CoD, and Elder Scrolls. Replace them with any exclusive title that you wish, as it doesn't affect the core point, which is that CoD and Elder Scrolls are just a drop in the ocean compared to the list of quality titles that Sony co-opted and made exclusive for their platform, often in the same way that Microsoft is doing now.

KOTOR was only announced for PS5 btw.

gothpunkboy89 t1_ixyvkmx wrote

>I gave a random list of games that are PS exclusive that I feel are on par with CoD, and Elder Scrolls.

In what possible way are they equal to Elder Scrolls let alone Call of Duty? In terms of player count and or income?

​

>​ Replace them with any exclusive title that you wish, as it doesn't affect the core point, which is that CoD and Elder Scrolls are just a drop

Source for this claim please. Preferably sales and income combined to show the full effects. Because those could chase Elder Scrolls tail, CoD is in an entirely different bracket all together.

​

>​ KOTOR was only announced for PS5 btw.

https://www.starwars.com/news/knights-of-the-old-republic-remake

>That personal connection for Kellogg and Treadwell has new meaning today. Announced at PlayStation Showcase 2021, Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic – Remake will see the classic RPG return as a PlayStation 5 console exclusive at launch and for PC.

−1

meekgamer452 t1_ixz9vrv wrote

Microsoft indicated there is no intent to make Call of Duty exclusive, so this entire argument about the Activision acquisition is moot.

Also, you write too much, it's annoying to read. Also, stop asking for sources, I'm not sourcing data for a reddit reply.

1 They're effectively equal in that a lot of people like them and they have a large following. I doubt many list CoD as their fav games, none have ever won GOTY. The rest of your question is irrelevant in this argument if you recall my original comment (1st line) "From a purely gamers perspective..." Unless you have shares in Sony, data relating to Sony's bottom line do not matter to a gamer.

2 There's nothing to source, it's a logical argument.

3 KOTOR was never announced for Xbox, articles prior to 2022 are irrelevant because the studio changed, directors replaced

gothpunkboy89 t1_ixzivcj wrote

>Microsoft indicated there is no intent to make Call of Duty exclusive

They also indicated that Halo would always have a couch cooperative mode. We see how that panned out.

>Also, you write too much,

Then stick to twitter and the 200 character limit.

−1

shamrockgreenblood t1_ixyn143 wrote

Did you just call Microsoft a not anti-consumerist (so basically pro-consumer) company? Funniest thing I've ever heard.

meekgamer452 t1_ixynaa4 wrote

I said buying IPs and gating players on other platforms from buying them is anti-consumerist. And obviously, everything is relative.