Submitted by Empty_Regret6345 t3_z5xcuo in gaming

Lately Xbox has been on a buying spree. I get if if as a ‘gamer’ you’re worried that you might have to buy both consoles to play the best games.

But I don’t get sony fanboys logic saying Xbox is killing gaming by making games exclusive. Isnt that what Sony had been doing for ages? Now that some else starts doing it and they go bat shit crazy. Its like the fat guy bullying every other guy for being fat.

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

NoSkillzDad t1_ixyexsi wrote

Sony is being a huge hypocrite. It's literally the dude bullying everyone and when one of them says "fuck you" he calls the teacher crying: "did you see what they said to me? 😭 😭 Poor me 😭"

stillgotmonkon t1_ixyewko wrote

Can you make a reasonable argument or draw parallels to buying Zenimax and potentially Activision (two publishers with several developers and IP under them) to buying smaller developers such as Insomniac (Sony) and Ninja Theory (Xbox/MS).

So if I were to draw similarities it's that Sony bought Insomniac and MS bought Ninja Theory or Double Fine etc. Sony made a deal with Square Enix for FF7 exclusivity, MS made a deal with Square for Tomb Raider reboot in 2013. You can see the similarities I'm sure.

Please can you point out where Sony have bought I don't know..EA...or Namco, maybe Square, Ubisoft, Sega etc and if you'd be happy to have those catalogue of games locked behind a platform. So Yakuza, The soulsborne games, Assassin's Creed, FIFA (or EAFC as it's going to be called).

You call people fanboys but you fail to use logic or reason or any kind of factual points to back up your statements. All things typically associated with fanboys. The irony.

meekgamer452 t1_ixylyqf wrote

From purely a gamers perspective, I don't see any extra significance to Microsoft buying Call of Duty, or Elder Scrolls, when compared to Sony acquiring over the years equally cool IPs like KOTOR, Spiderman, Bloodborne, etc. The fact is Sony bought a lot of IPs, and gated a lot of them from Xbox and PC players, and Microsoft started doing the same, the difference is they might keep CoD and Elder Scrolls cross platform, because not doing that would be a crappy, anti-consumerist thing to do.

−1

stillgotmonkon t1_ixyo73h wrote

If they aren't anti consumerist then why did they get a 899 million euros fine for unlawful monopolistic practices in the EU.

gothpunkboy89 t1_ixyolww wrote

>KOTOR

So how is a limited time exclusivity deal (1 year typically) the same as Elder Scroll 6+ never showing up on PS consoles the same?

​

>​ Spiderman

Then how is Spiderman in the new Marvel Midnight Sun's game which is being released on Xbox, PC and PS at the same time?

​

>​ Bloodborne

Really curious why this is listed as it is quite literally an original IP created specifically for Sony by a 3rd party. Something that isn't really a new concept given you have Sunset Overdrive, Crackdown and Gears of War on Xbox all created by 3rd party developers specifically for Xbox systems. I've never really seen anyone complain about Microsoft "taking" Gears of War away from Nintendo and Sony players.

meekgamer452 t1_ixys7cd wrote

I gave a random list of games that are PS exclusive that I feel are on par with CoD, and Elder Scrolls. Replace them with any exclusive title that you wish, as it doesn't affect the core point, which is that CoD and Elder Scrolls are just a drop in the ocean compared to the list of quality titles that Sony co-opted and made exclusive for their platform, often in the same way that Microsoft is doing now.

KOTOR was only announced for PS5 btw.

gothpunkboy89 t1_ixyvkmx wrote

>I gave a random list of games that are PS exclusive that I feel are on par with CoD, and Elder Scrolls.

In what possible way are they equal to Elder Scrolls let alone Call of Duty? In terms of player count and or income?

​

>​ Replace them with any exclusive title that you wish, as it doesn't affect the core point, which is that CoD and Elder Scrolls are just a drop

Source for this claim please. Preferably sales and income combined to show the full effects. Because those could chase Elder Scrolls tail, CoD is in an entirely different bracket all together.

​

>​ KOTOR was only announced for PS5 btw.

https://www.starwars.com/news/knights-of-the-old-republic-remake

>That personal connection for Kellogg and Treadwell has new meaning today. Announced at PlayStation Showcase 2021, Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic – Remake will see the classic RPG return as a PlayStation 5 console exclusive at launch and for PC.

−1

meekgamer452 t1_ixz9vrv wrote

Microsoft indicated there is no intent to make Call of Duty exclusive, so this entire argument about the Activision acquisition is moot.

Also, you write too much, it's annoying to read. Also, stop asking for sources, I'm not sourcing data for a reddit reply.

1 They're effectively equal in that a lot of people like them and they have a large following. I doubt many list CoD as their fav games, none have ever won GOTY. The rest of your question is irrelevant in this argument if you recall my original comment (1st line) "From a purely gamers perspective..." Unless you have shares in Sony, data relating to Sony's bottom line do not matter to a gamer.

2 There's nothing to source, it's a logical argument.

3 KOTOR was never announced for Xbox, articles prior to 2022 are irrelevant because the studio changed, directors replaced

gothpunkboy89 t1_ixzivcj wrote

>Microsoft indicated there is no intent to make Call of Duty exclusive

They also indicated that Halo would always have a couch cooperative mode. We see how that panned out.

>Also, you write too much,

Then stick to twitter and the 200 character limit.

−1

shamrockgreenblood t1_ixyn143 wrote

Did you just call Microsoft a not anti-consumerist (so basically pro-consumer) company? Funniest thing I've ever heard.

meekgamer452 t1_ixynaa4 wrote

I said buying IPs and gating players on other platforms from buying them is anti-consumerist. And obviously, everything is relative.

Detozi t1_ixye3q8 wrote

I don’t know why anyone feels the need to pick the defence of corporations as the hill to die on. They are both after your money and both do not give a shit about you as a person

NoSkillzDad t1_ixyf9oo wrote

You're totally right. I do have to say that right now I prefer to give it (mah money) to Xbox than Sony though, (that might change tomorrow, but today...) Besides that, (and this is just a"baseless hope"), I hope that if the Microsoft-Activision deal goes through then some things might change around in Activision leading to better working conditions for their workers (people like us, no corpo anymore). And maybe, just maybe, bobby kotick gtfo.

That's just me.

−2

gothpunkboy89 t1_ixylai1 wrote

> I hope that if the Microsoft-Activision deal goes through then some things might change around in Activision leading to better working conditions for their workers (people like us, no corpo anymore).

Wasn't there big issues with 343 Studios with over work and heavy reliance on temp workers who would take have their time to learn the game engine and then be let go so they didn't have to hire them full time?

​

Because they launch state of Infinite and how slow they were/are at adding some pretty basic things to the game reeks of some really fucked up working conditions in the studio.

NoSkillzDad t1_ixynov7 wrote

>Wasn't there big issues with 343 Studios with over work and heavy reliance on temp workers who would take have their time to learn the game engine and then be let go so they didn't have to hire them full time?

Still different from sexual harassment, gender discrimination, ...

gothpunkboy89 t1_ixyny43 wrote

>Still different from sexual harassment, gender discrimination, ...

But your argument is that they would address the problems. Seems like Microsoft was pretty happy to sit back and let 343's cluster fuck go on for years as 4 and 5 also had issues with launch and missing some basic features.

NoSkillzDad t1_ixz3vru wrote

My argument is that I hope they address that. There's a bigger chance of addressing sexual harassment than crunch.

I mean, sexual harassment brings lawsuits and crunch brings mainly bad pr. So there is a bigger chance that one is dealt with with higher priority that the other one.

Again, all this is hope... Said that clearly from my first comment. In the end they do wtf they want.

ItsLCGaming t1_ixysi32 wrote

Sony don't want to lose top spot and actually work more

Jensen_Games t1_ixyg3yl wrote

I get both sides honestly, but I don't think people understand just how big the Microsoft acquisition of Activision/ Blizzard would indeed be. Competition is healthy and in a way, this Activision deal is some competition and even though call of duty is said to remain on all platforms, it's foolish to think this will always be the case.

The issue here is less of an exclusive game problem and more the degradation of competition. Forget fanboys and console wars and all that jazz for a moment and think past it. Competition being degraded will hurt consumer choice and also hurt price long term.

If all these gaming companies just start buying up all the other companies and studios then we are essentially left with these big daddy game companies that have just swallowed all studios and at some point none will be left freely out there besides probably small Indy studios and such.

If these big gaming companies start swallowing all these studios, what we are going to get is alot of degradation which translates to not only less games but safer games that won't take risks I believe games need to stay interesting and also what exactly would stop them from hiking the price? It's not like you'd be able to really buy the product on another platform at that point, giving consumers overall less options.

Even IF Microsoft continues to have call of duty continue multiplatform titles, it still monopolizes so many IPs on one platform and it's not like Microsoft doesn't already also have a Monopoly on PC gaming. It just means they'd now control a much bigger share of that pie on all fronts.

Microsoft isn't the good guy here and neither is Sony in all this. None of this is going to be good for the gamer. None of the big companies have gamers in mind, just more money which I mean as a business stand point I get it. It's just not good to be that close to a state of Monopoly. It really isn't going to be good for gamers no matter what console you fanboy over.

I personally have all 3 consoles and I don't see how this acquisition is good. There are good reasons why this deal is under a microscope right now and is being scrutinized and most likely looking at a lawsuit by the FTC beyond Sony just crying foul. This just doesn't seem good.

SSGSSALVARO t1_ixye0y1 wrote

I agree with you. I own both consoles and they both have their ups and downs, but Sony has been stingy for the longest time and now microsoft is going crazy on a buying spree. I would hope xbox keeps them cross platform but who knows what on earth they are going to do.

Far_Elephant_1644 t1_ixygmjd wrote

You never ever have to buy both consoles that’s simply marketing aids. Get a PC it will serve you as a PC which you need (most of the time) and it will also play every single Microsoft game better than ab Xbox. On top of this you can even use emulators and now you also have every Nintendo game as well. Emulation is still a bit shaky for current PS games so sadly that is the only console you truly have to buy if you want access to everything. Sony fans are fans this is how all fans act sadly.

D2zcx0 t1_ixyo50s wrote

Where is the daily PS5 post at y’all found some at Costco ?? 😂😂😂

QuinSanguine t1_ixz1oiw wrote

If you're going to spend money on two consoles just get a PC, you'll get most of the PlayStation games on PC over time.

But as for Microsoft buying Activision, Activision seems like a one trick pony. They don't do much that sells big outside of COD and it seems like PlayStation just wants to keep COD off of Gamepass. I don't see how that will make MS a monopoly.

Even when Activision made games we wanted like another Crash and a Tony Hawk remake, they didn't sell that well.

Aninja262 t1_ixzmt8r wrote

Microsoft has been attempting to buy the market since the original xbox they just made a small pc using a windows backend and direct x. They then bought Halo. They are just a financial entity owned by a horrible “philanthropist” who thinks the world is overpopulated I’ll never own another one after RROD debacle they should have replaced everybody’s 360’s but they didn’t. In contrast my original ps3 is still running now they are a disgrace

Lost-in-Limbo t1_ixye4ru wrote

Sony fans will complain about anything against Sony, Xbox fans will complain about anything against Microsoft/Xbox division!

Just ignore it as it’ll cause you more headaches to worry about it than not!

shamrockgreenblood t1_ixyo702 wrote

True. I own both systems so I don't have a main horse in this race. Both companies are after our wallets. Corporate shilling/fanboying gets you nothing unless you are paid for it xD

Cytraxe t1_ixyebce wrote

Sony doesn't buy famous IP and make them their exclusives . They make their own famous IP and know what they have to do with them unlike Xbox who basically don't know what to do with Halo anymore

−1

newaru2 t1_ixyfyz0 wrote

It would have been true if Forza, Flight Simulator or Age of Empires didn't exist. Three extremely popular gaming IPs in their own genres.

Rattttttttttt t1_ixyg0tf wrote

Tell that to anyone who played Spider-Man on an Xbox in the past. Can’t do that anymore, weird.

Cytraxe t1_ixyg64j wrote

Most Spiderman games on Xbox were really trash what's your point

NoSkillzDad t1_ixyfjzo wrote

LoL. You might need to do some research dude. I mean, they just bought destiny dude... Like, 😂, that's just one of the latest examples.

−1

Jetherial t1_ixyfxx7 wrote

My 2 cents. Both Bungie and Sony have been very clear that the bungie acquisition will not turn Destiny exclusive, it was a condition of the Bungie sale. New IPs are on the table but Destiny will remain open.

NoSkillzDad t1_ixyh0ig wrote

... For now... Microsoft said exactly the same about cod.

I hope you don't just believe everything they (don't, Microsoft, ...) promise because if one thing is sure it's that corporations break their promises when they see fit.