Submitted by MarcusQuintus t3_10qdith in gaming

Hey everyone,

Now that we're a decent way into the 9th generation of gaming, I was interested in which one is considered the best.

For reference:
First Odyssey, Coleco, Pong
Second Atari 2600, Intellevision, Odyssey 2
[Third] (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Third_generation_of_video_game_consoles) NES, Master System, Atari 7800
Fourth SNES, TGFX-16, Neo Geo
Fifth N64, Jaguar, Saturn, PS1, 3DO
Sixth Gamecube, Dreamcast, PS2, Xbox
Seventh: The best one. Wii, PS3, Xbox 360
Eighth: Last gen. Wii U, PS4, Xbox One
Ninth: Current. Switch, PS5, Xbox Series

For me, it's the 7th generation. This was what I'd consider the beginning of modern gaming, with HD graphics, (proper) online play, internal storage, DLC, and patches. It lasted the longest and was a close battle between the three competitors, which gave us some of the best games. The biggest negative is that micro transactions were introduced here, especially towards the end, but I don't think they were as predatory or egregious as they are today.

Here's a 1 question google survey I'd love for you all to answer. If I get good responses, I'll be sure to post them!

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLScWg5xSxdLzTM6oMNAfrQxyfEP3fAqihuCmyKbM7saWN9Ht0A/viewform

Thanks

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

Randi_Butternubs_3 t1_j6pdkyt wrote

Personal preference? Fourth

Most important without being partial? Has to be Third.

Without the success of the NES, there would be virtually no home videogame industry today.

MarcusQuintus OP t1_j6pdyud wrote

The NES certainly shifted gaming from a passing fad into an institution.

manofmatt t1_j6pd2gd wrote

9 for me. Access to almost every game each console has had (barring ps3 for ps5), lightning fast load times, 4k graphics and/or 60fps (not at the same time usually, access to tons of games via subscription, and the new games are starting to get good. Only downside is price of games (but I'm old enough to afford the odd brand new one now) and availability. I'm mainly talking ps5 here.

MarcusQuintus OP t1_j6pedd3 wrote

You're referring to PS5, but the Xbox Game Pass is such good value too.

ohara1250 t1_j6pduzh wrote

To me it's the 4th because of childhood nostalgia, followed by 6th.

MarcusQuintus OP t1_j6pem41 wrote

Yeah, the fourth generation was the one I first owned too. Most of the games I play are 2D games that evoke the 16 bit era, when games were simpler but you didn't have to use your imagination to see what was going on.

bideodames t1_j6pivhh wrote

Fourth, despite you leaving out the best console of that generation in your listing, the Genesis

sdurflinger t1_j6pjlfl wrote

I'll always remember smacking my NES and blowing into the cartridge. The best of times.

Elegant_Spot_3486 t1_j6pjrgt wrote

I’ve been around for them all. I don’t do best comparisons because they’re just different. I got great memories from each.

Most-Lethal t1_j6pf3q4 wrote

PCMR has and will always be the best Generation!