Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Avenger1324 t1_j6ff8a7 wrote

While of course it requires the game to be fun, a large part is down to the way it was released.

By effectively surprising everyone with an immediate release we had no real opportunity to build up an idea in our head of what it would be like as something to judge the game against. We didn't have months of build up, hype, drip fed content, or crucially anything shown that fails to make the final version.

Nice stunt for a one off game and worked well for them, but don't expect similar to happen for the next big AAA titles - Forza, Starfield, COD etc.

KonoDoesArt t1_j6fi7gs wrote

No, that isn't it for me.

For me it's the fact that it's something new, and it has personality. It's not just a shallow, soulless copy of a Soulsborne, it's not some regurgitated competitive FPS, it's not a shallow "open world" sandbox... it's its own thing, and it takes it to 11. It's not just some hollow attempt to cash in on what's popular.

And then you look at how the world and story is designed: It's just an adventure. You're not stopping some universe ending threat, there's no apocalypse, you're not some grimdark war-scarred fucking monster... you're just a dude on an adventure. The game doesn't have all the ridiculous drama and grimdark uber dark fantasy that literally everything else has.

Added onto that, the game treats itself as kind of a joke or comedy routine. Lots of gags, a fucking hype man to narrate, and so on. It's not edgy and dark and brooding.

And, one of the biggest things? I haven't even seen an option to put money into the game. It's just a game, like they used to be.

−1