Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

covertash t1_j999nwh wrote

> I ended up getting them specifically as I was told it can be driven decently without an AMP/DAC (so I could use it on my tablet/phone with a dongle without too much of a setback)

Assuming the dongle you are using may be one of the Apple ones, this would suggest there is some merit to the new Macs' high impedance headphone jacks after all:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT212856

Fancy that. :)

As far as recommendations for budget amps, the usual suspects apply: JDS Atom, Schiit Magni variant, Monoprice Liquid Spark (currently on sale for $80 right now), and probably a few others.

Whether if you will need a separate DAC for your specific setup remains to be seen, so the only way to know is to try for yourself. But assuming the source of your static is caused by your motherboard's headphone jack running out of steam at high volumes, then yes, it should be rectified by adding an external amp alone. Otherwise, this is where an external DAC can come into play to completely take your motherboard audio out of the equation.

iSaithh OP t1_j99dc4g wrote

I see, that does explain why my 660S work great with the Mac out of the box

>But assuming the source of your static is caused by your motherboard's
headphone jack running out of steam at high volumes, then yes, it should
be rectified by adding an external amp alone.

Noted! In that case I'll start looking into some decent AMPs with those and other recommendations and seeing how it improves it before getting a DAC, thank you for the clarification c: