Submitted by chrews t3_11rvqvz in headphones

Just short reviews of all my headphones I’ve ever owned. Keep in mind that some of them aren’t as fresh in my memory and the timeframe of how long I had them is just a rough approximation. Hope this is entertaining.

Superlux HD681 (3 Months)
They sounded really shrill and plasticky but coming from my Logitech headset they were a godsend. Pads lasted 2 months until they became hard and brittle. You get what you pay for. (3/10)

Audio-Technica ATH-M50 (6 Months)
I actually really liked the forwardness of them and compared to the HD681 they sounded like nice headphones. Sadly incredibly uncomfortable, that’s why I sent them back. Still don’t hate the sound though, they had character. (6/10)

Beyerdynamic DT770 (4 Years)
People love to hate on them but I still think they’re maybe the best closed back for gaming under 300 dollars. Really dynamic sound that isn’t as claustrophobic as other closed backs. Destroyed them while attempting to mod them. (8/10)

Hifiman HE-400 (1 Week)
Sharp, crazily detailed treble and insane textured bass. These sounded like nothing else. Sadly the built quality and comfort were utter trash, they felt like they were coming apart every second. Returned them. (7/10)

Sennheiser HD650 (2 Years)
The tuning is incredible, smooth and neutral. Perfect for any genre and I loved them so dearly. Only drawback was the bass extension. Sadly my cheap amplifier blew them up and then they disappeared somewhere in the attic. I think I’ll get another pair some day. (9/10)

Audio-Technica ATH-M40X (6 Months)
They were alright, I think they were so neutral and cold that they became really lifeless. The tuning wasn’t a good match for the forwardness of the M50 drivers. The earpads became brittle and hard within a couple months, I just gave them away and never looked back. Truly unspectacular headphones. (3/10)

Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro (3 Years, still used)
They’re my workhorse headphones, I know their sound by heart and that’s why I still use them as on-the-go mixing headphones. They have a metallic timbre but with fresh pads it’s almost balanced out by the elevated mid bass. They’re alright but I wouldn’t recommend them anymore. (6.5/10)

Hifiman HE-4XX (2 Months)
Imaging is very good and they sound pretty neutral overall. Sadly they couldn’t recreate the weirdness and magic of the original HE-400. The bass in not as textured and it lacks the same soundstage. In a vacuum they’re pretty good but the comfort was bad and they broke after one week. Trashed them and didn’t even bother for a replacement. (3/10)

Audeze LCD-2 Classic (6 Months)
Sound wise by far the best headphones I’ve ever tried. Drums feel like they kick your ear, vocals are buttery smooth, the bass goes as deep as you could imagine. Smooth yet ridiculously detailed treble. Just incredible tuning, like HD650s on bath salts. Sadly the weight and comfort was a dealbreaker. Sold them after 6 months because I need something I can wear for long sessions. (9/10)

AirPods 1st Gen (3 years, still used)
They’re still kicking and when they die I’ll look after a better Bluetooth alternative.

Beyerdynamic DT900 Pro X (2 Days)
The saddest and most lifeless tuning I’ve ever heard. I guess they wanted to fix the treble spike of the DT990s and accidentally sucked all of the fun out of them. I like warmer headphones but I don’t know why I hate those. Pads are not as comfortable either. All in all very disappointing. (2/10)

Focal Radiance (3 Months)
I loved them for music, not so much for gaming and general use. Tuning was perfection, the bass was vicious and nothing sounded sibilant or straining. I would’ve kept them if they didn’t sound so claustrophobic when I used them for discord and gaming at the same time, it almost made me anxious. Also sourcing spare parts would’ve been a nightmare. (8/10)

Sennheiser HD800 (1 month, still used)
That’s my current main player. Got them used for a steal and I’m very happy with them. Yes they sound cold and sterile but they do everything I want from them with ease, and with some EQ tuning they turn into something truly magical. Comfort is perfect, I didn’t have any problems with pressure on my jaw as soon as I properly adjusted them. (8/10) (10/10 with EQ)

Comments